Thread: Tell me about Natural Gas and new furnace

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tell me about Natural Gas and new furnace

NOTE:My old service guy who retired 3 years ago put the oil furnace in new. Before he retired he told me to never let anyone tell me I needed a new furnace. I could get any part needed.

Hvac guy out today to do the fall service on my 40 year old oil furnace. He was recommended by my old service guy. I started the conversation how old my furnace was etc.....
    He said my Williamson brand furnace, if the motor would go out, I would need a new unit because a new motor could not be had. Something about the frame was different ??
    When the oil furnace was put in by my parents, natural gas was not available, but now is available on my street.

Anyway...... I know I am way over due.
    My new Hvac guy said the local natural gas co would put the service to my house for free but I had to hook up to it within 6 months. Since it can take up to 6 months for Duke Energy to put in my new gas line, He suggested I get the line in now and replace my 14 year old electric water heater with gas to satisfy the 6 month requirement,then, if the oil furnace goes out it can be replaced with gas. If the oil furnace goes out in the winter, I will have no choice but to replace with oil. Again, Because of the 6 month lead time to get a line installed. I would love to get rid of oil.

I am new to natural gas. Know it can differ by area but what is the minimum charge a month(assuming there is one like my shop electric meter) for gas and would it be a wast to just have a water heater running off of it?
    I am very seriously thinking about having the line installed now and having a water heater and furance put in. Just trying to figure out all my options.
    The Hvac guy said I would save a ton with a new gas system vs oil. Anyone switch from oil to gas? what was your savings like, 1/4 or 1/2 or ??? of oil.
    Should I just get a gas furnace and stay with electric for the water heater? would the minimum gas charge not be worth it in the summer months with only a gas water heater? Can I even cancel my gas service in the summer months to avoid a monthly charge?

Tell my anything about what I am not thinking about.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-24-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale