Thread: One-joint desk with "Floyd Legs"

One-joint desk with "Floyd Legs"

Hi all,

The loml had bought a set of 'Floyd Legs' before we met and she requested I use them to make a small art desk for her studio. "Great!" I said "just the scale of a project I can handle right now"

She bought the Floyd Legs as a kickstarter and they've now got a proper site. The legs she got don't look to be made any more but are similar to these https://floydhome.com/products/the-f...16?color=White

She paid kickstarter prices and was surprised at the increased cost. Regardless, I find that they are quite well made and believe they are US made (I don't have any affiliation with the company, #NeverSponsored).

Thinking I could reduce the woodpile and tick off a project at the same time, I grabbed a slab of horse chestnut that had been outside for a couple of years and resawed it in half (with electrons!). The treat was the slab had some great spalting with a bit of figure. I went from low-brow utilitarian to fancy-pants in a single cut!

Hand-planed one side flat, edge joined the two pieces with a #7 (the "one joint"), glued and then flattened the top and bottom. The bottom actually ended up tapered on the ends as a spontaneous "design element" because I feed the last bit of the slab too fast when resawing, bellying one side. The taper let me keep the middle fat.

IMG_7967 2 (1).jpgIMG_7973 2.jpg

Couple coats of shellac and wax, five minutes to add legs and viola-a desk!

IMG_8067.jpgIMG_8068.jpg

She's very pleased and the desk works well as a laptop desk. A wee bit wobbly, but not bad, especially when braced against a wall. I noticed on their site that the table legs now have cross bracing using webbing for dining sized tables. Anyhow, was a great interlude to the sheds and yet more sheetrocking/painting in the shop.

I share in part because I see as a bit of an alternative to IKEA--my teenage sons were both eyeing the desk as a nice piece of furniture that would fit in the back of their cars, so they may end up with their own sometime down the line.

Best,
    Chris

(Well, the bench photo at the end is a bonus that doesn't want to delete. My latest sheetrocking is because the climbing wall has gone to greener pastures, freeing up a bit of wall space...).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 09-24-2020 at 7:44 PM.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Well done Chris, ...a marvelous table top, good use of the Floyd legs which coordinate nicely with the top, and a happy wife. You make it look easy.

Well, the one joint looks fabulous. Beautiful wood, great looking table. I too have had the kids see things and the project suddenly multiplies. I actually enjoy when that happens.

That’s a great looking table. I like the warmth of the spalted chestnut and the legs are attractive.
    The bench is awesome!

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. Phil, I agree-I do my best to put my projects on hold when the kids get excited about something
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice looking table!