Thread: Mixing things in plastic buckets

Mixing things in plastic buckets

When a mixing blade on a drill is used to mix things in a plastic bucket, I find that blades can cut fine plastic shavings from the side of the bucket. For some things like drywall compound, the plastic savings are a problem. Do people who mix drywall and similar compounds in plastic buckets simply change the buckets often? Or do they use special blades? - perhaps the kind that has a circular ring around the outside?

I just don't jam the mixer into the wall.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I use a drywall paddle no sharp edges

We mainly use the ones with 4 rectangles of round rod. You can let it ride against the side of the bucket, and it gets into the corners too, with no damage to the bucket. You might think it's slower than the ones with fan blades, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in mixing speed. It also doesn't get extra air into a mix like some with more aggressive vertical action do.

Blog Entries
    Get a different mixer, or maybe you can grind the offending edges. I have a couple of different mixer paddles & don't get have that issue.

I use a mortar hoe. That's the tool, not the woman.
    Regards,

Tom

As said, get a different mixer. Mine has rounded sides. Couple weeks ago I mixed up some self leveling compound and the sides of the bucket have little to no scratches, and no gouges.