Thread: Valuable Lessons

Valuable Lessons

I think this photo is like one of those that your supposed to find 10 things that are wrong. I had this come down on me this morning. I got a few scrapes but I'll heal.
    There was some damage that can't be fixed but it will just give me a chance to buy new tools.

I learned some valuable lessons though :

#1 Use something thicker that 1/8 masonite on the back of a hanging cabinet, and Screw it on !!
    #2 Don't put 30 pounds of screws in a cabinet in open containers
    #3 (the most important ) Never lay Valuable tools on top of a cabinet not secured in anyway.

My No 4 body is cracked and toasted.... and the No 7 has a nice chunk off the corner but is still flat.
    A couple chisels will need reground and sharpened. Cabinet will need some new hinges.

Maybe on the optimistic side, this will give me a reason to reorganize my cabinet location and some better tool storage.

cabinet.jpgbody.jpgcorner.jpg

Ouch! Glad you weren't seriously hurt (physically anyway) but painful to see the damage.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Mannnnnnnn, that sucks. I am sorry to see it. However, better to lose the no4 than the 7. Are these vintage planes, i assume? The totes look like it.

How was the cabinet mounted to the wall?

I'm guessing that you'll be having a screw sorting party real soon now...at least that's a woodworking activity that can safely include adult beverages!

'Hope you heal quickly and yea, it's an opportunity for a little design work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That sucks. I once left a hammer on top of a ladder and then went to move it ... I learned the hard headed way never to do that again!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Sorry you had to suffer this calamity. I hope you recover quickly. Thanks for sharing the lessons learned.

They were vintage planes but were found so do big cost other than time cleaning and the cost of new irons , but I will save them. I think the No 7 is fine.

"5200 screw pick-up" maybe not that many but sorting time for sure.

The French cleat is anchored to the brick wall with plugs and screws. The back of the cabinet failed, pulled right off the back, but my fault, didn't screw it on so lesson learned.
    Then I think I had to much weight in there anyway. Its easy to pile stuff in there and not realize the weight adding up.

I'v done the hammer ladder trick once or twice also slow learner

Scary! Glad no one was there or a 200 hour project sitting there.
    Now I’m looking at one I brought here from my other shop and hung it on two 2x4s that someone already had nailed to the wall. I remember testing it with my weight before the car was there of course. Probably only 50 lbs plus the cabinet on 4 of these power driven fasteners. Got me wanting to add some brackets now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, there are a whole bunch of planes being offered in the Free Classifieds here at SMC currently in case you want to see if there's any viable replacements for what got damaged in. your accident.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...