Thread: Grizzly lathes

Grizzly lathes

Is it just me or has grizzly reduced the number of lathes that they offer online? I like to window shop every so often and feel like they were quite a few missing from last time.

It looks like they discontinued those new were larger lathes that were black. But there is still a shop fox version of the longer 24 inch model that seems to be a really nice price. Thinking about splurging instead of browsing....

unless I am missing something here
    Not allowed

Call Grizzly and ask them. Most reliable source of information. - John

When looking up the G0800 (24" lathe) on Grizzly's website it says "discontinued". Wonder why, as from what I've heard from a few turners on this forum, that lathe was high quality.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    When looking up the G0800 (24" lathe) on Grizzly's website it says "discontinued". Wonder why, as from what I've heard from a few turners on this forum, that lathe was high quality.
    Tom
    right, that is what I thought too. Now you just have the ship fix version with a 36” length instead of the 48”... but appears to be the same other then that.
    Not allowed

5. Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    right, that is what I thought too. Now you just have the ship fix version with a 36” length instead of the 48”... but appears to be the same other then that.
    The shortened length means they took away the swing-away tailstock on the Shop Fox version...otherwise, it is the same as the G0800.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you like the G0800, there is the Harvey:
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/co.../harvey-lathes

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    If you like the G0800, there is the Harvey:
    https://www.harveywoodworking.com/co.../harvey-lathes
    never heard of them before, but that looks like the same lathe!
    Not allowed

8. Quote Originally Posted by Derek Voigt View Post
    never heard of them before, but that looks like the same lathe!

Harvey also makes the Powermatic line of wood lathes, as well as the G0800 [now discontinued] They make the Harvey t-40 and T-60 which has some differences from the G0800,like a 2 hp D/C motor with controller, where the G0800 has a 3 hp A/C motor and inverter on it.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 09-24-2020 at 7:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Harvey also makes the Powermatic line of wood lathes, as well as the G0800 [now discontinued] They make the Harvey t-40 and T-60 which has some differences from the G0800,like a 2 hp D/C motor with controller, where the G0800 has a 3 hp A/C motor and inverter on it.
    Was wondering about the new DC motor. Will it produce similar torque to the 3HP AC? Is it reliable? The Harvey looks like quite a nicely made machine.

10. Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Was wondering about the new DC motor. Will it produce similar torque to the 3HP AC? Is it reliable? The Harvey looks like quite a nicely made machine.

Tom, I owned a G0698 18/47 lathe with a 2hp D/C motor with controller. They do fine, except at lower speeds the motor tends to "hunt" [hesitates] but add some rpm's and off it goes. An A/C motor with inverter will give more torque and deliver it smoothly at low rpm's, which is important when turning large or out of balance wood blanks, such as log pieces, and for coring processes, and also is important for safety reasons. There is a very noticeable increase in power and torque between a 2hp D/C motor and a 3 hp A/C motor with inverter...it just delivers more power.

11. Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Tom, the Harvey T-60 instruction manual indicates that it has an AC servo motor, not a DC motor.

I have a Harvey T-60s. The motor does not "hunt" it has a much better designed motor and controller than the go800. It is very smooth. I'm sure Grizzly is coming up with a new model to replace the G0800. Most likely something with a much higher profit margin.
    Where did I put those band aids?