Thread: Anyone Try New 10"Wahuda Bench Jointer?

Anyone Try New 10"Wahuda Bench Jointer?

Seems Wahuda in now offering a 10" benchtop jointer at a reasonable price for that size with some early bird enticements.
    https://www.wahudatools.com/10in-ben...early-bird.htm

Wondering if it's as well regarded a their 8" and 6" models. I tend not tobe an early adopter but I may be ready soon to get a bench jointer.

It’s hard enough to joint on a 6” bench top, how on earth would you do it on an, likely underpowered, 10” version? I could see this being desirable to super small shops though.

Blog Entries
    I mean this as positive input to add to your thoughts:

I think you need to get some honest reports from owners of bunch top jointers. IMHO, many reviews are colored by the "someone just got their first jointer" or "someone spent way too much for that machine" syndromes. I think with some decent effort one can make a bench top jointer serve well for small blanks. With a few disassembly/reassembly steps to shim the tables into plane I had my 6" Delta benchtop working well enough to not feel bad about selling it to a friend who does model work. I suppose there are small enough / light enough items requiring 10" of jointer width but, I can't think of what they would be. Decoupage plaques maybe?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This jointer uses a higher speed cutter head and fewer cutter inserts, which together with a universal motor (12K rpm) creates a lot more noise, at a lot higher frequency, than conventional jointers of equivalent size. It ought to be a screamer...

To say it is a "spiral-styled cutterhead" as stated in the manual, is an overreach.

There are only 20 cutter inserts.

Thus, there are apparently only enough inserts for a single, full equivalent row of cutters (though they appear to be staggered over the 6 sides of the cutter head, per the manual illustrations), and a small diameter cutter head, both of which require a slow feed rate to achieve the same surface quality of conventional jointers. However, given the 12 amp motor, a slow feed rate is probably all that it can handle on a wide jointed surface.

The table is very short for a 10" jointer. Shop made extension tables, supported by the extension roller supports, could improve that, but the formed sheet-metal construction may not provide the necessary rigidity.

The cutter head is aluminum (with a steel axle). I would be concerned that striking a nail or rock in the stock being jointed could damage the soft aluminum seat on the cutter head, in addition to the cutter (which would have been damaged on any other machine as well). It is also not clear whether the insert's screws thread into the soft aluminum, or the steel axle.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

It’s a presale and not available yet. I have the cutech industrial planer and it’s a fine machine for the money.

The limitations of a short bed and small fence are just the reality of benchtops. But for a small shop that works with wider and shorter pieces, it should do well.

So I took your advice and tried to find real world bench jointer pros and cons. All I could find was benchtop jointers were smaller and less powerful which seems rather obvious to me.
    If you have other information I am am all ears to hear it. The Wahuda 10 inch is out of stock at the moment so I have some time to consider options.

As I see it now I can get a full sized 6" like a Jet or get the 10" inch bench jpointer from Wahuda. I don't have $2k, 220vac, and 12 square feet in my shop right now for a 8-12 inchc floor model,

I have a very small multi-purpose shop with limited environemntal control. Small footrpint I can cover is a big deal for me.

I appreciate your input and comments

John, my advice is to consider what kind of workpieces you intend to run across the jointer (length and width). The former is regardless of edge or face jointing; the latter obviously is important for face jointing. THree times the bed length is about the limit for stock length without "doing a dance" with auxiliary support. If your projects tend to be smaller, you may be fine with a benchtop type machine as long as you can deal with the higher noise level and understand that "typically", the benchtop jointers are not as stout and sturdy as their larger, floor-standing cousins. The geometry of using a benchtop jointer is the same as with a larger one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know this is a LATE reply, but I am seriously looking at the 10 inch Wahuda jointer also. If I pick one up, I will certainly reply with my first impressions.

Hi guys, this is my first post on sawmill Creek. I'm new to woodworking, but I am not new to tools. I have quite a collection to say the least, and I know what makes a quality tool. Regarding the wahuda 10, I purchased one about a week ago, and have put it through its paces. In short, it's an excellent machine. Reading some comments on this thread, I was a little apprehensive initially. My fears were unfounded. So let me tell you a little bit about this machine.

First, while it's a bit of a pain to get dialed in, it is indeed capable of extreme accuracy.I was able to dial the tables in to within 2 thousandths of an inch extreme spread, end-to-end. The tables are so flat individually that I cannot measure any gap in any direction. The cutter head is nicely machined, and it's performance is flawless and accurate.

Second, the fence is more than adequate. Of course we would all like to have a cast iron mechanism such as that found on $3,500 powermatics, but at this price point, it's very well designed. I had no trouble keeping 8-in wide 4-ft long 3/4-in stock flat and square to the planer on its edge. I also made a couple of test runs with a 2-ft piece on its side. The poplar cut absolutely beautifully. I took a little less than a 16th of an inch at a relatively decent pace, the cut was smooth, accurate, and surprisingly, very quiet. Some had speculated that the machine would be loud. Just the opposite, it's not loud at all.

The machine is almost all metal, with the exception of the handles that operate the fence, and the adjustment handles. While these handles are not metal, they are glass reinforced polymer, and you would have to be trying hard to break them. It's the same kind of plastic that Glocks are made out of.

The dust collection was nothing short of fantastic. It has an 8-in collector, and the machine was almost as clean when I was finished using it as it was when I began. Amazing.

Yes, I would love to have an extra three or $4,000 sitting around for an 8-in floor model. But for the regular shop and the regular guy, this jointer will produce truly excellent finished product, glue and paint ready. I'm so happy to have found this forum. Looks like a great place to learn. Blessings.

Glad this is working out for you. I also get the need for a small footprint. The comments about $3-4k for an 8 inch jointer are true, however, you can also get very decent used machines for less. I use to have a Craftsman 6" jointer for years - bought used. After I got a bigger shop I sold that for what I paid for it and found a used Powermatic 8" for $800. I've now had it about 7-8 years and love it. I guess my point is that you don't always have to buy new stuff. I have bought and rebuilt an old Delta lathe, Rockwell 15" drill press, Delta turret 30C radial arm saw and Delta 15" planer. You can save a ton of money buying good old stuff. I also realize not everyone is into rebuilding machinery. Bottom line, It might make sense to consider the used machinery market also. Lots of bang for your buck. Randy
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 01-15-2022 at 12:56 AM. Reason: clarity
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I had a 6 inch delta cast iron floor model for over 30 yrs. Worked just fine. But when I saw the 8" cutech (wahuda now) I bought it. I was tired of dealing with the blades all the time. Took the 8 inch out of the box and have done exactly the same work I did for over 30 yrs on that old delta. With the bed extenders, it is as long as my old delta. The finish on the boards is terrific. I don't joint 4x4's so making modest sized furniture , cutting boards, and general woodworking is not beyond the capabilites of the wahuda.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

What's the rule of thumb, 1.5x the bed length can be accurately flattened? That means this machine should do 4' without accounting for those extension rollers. (And about 6' with them) Should be more than enough for most home users, I can say that covers 95% of the material I've run through my (floor) jointer.

Thanks for your detailed review and reviving an old thread. Welcome to the forum and contributing to my thread.
    My tool purchase has been put off for a while but good know your real world experience.

Thanks guys. I love reading the comments, and the food for thought. I especially appreciate the comments on the used tool market. I have no qualms about rebuilding tools. The Houston market is almost comical though. It goes something like this. Me....Nice bandsaw that you posted 38 seconds ago. Seller, yeah, there are 3 guys in my driveway having a fist fight over who got here first to buy it😂😂