Thread: Anyone Try New 10"Wahuda Bench Jointer?

Anyone Try New 10"Wahuda Bench Jointer?

Seems Wahuda in now offering a 10" benchtop jointer at a reasonable price for that size with some early bird enticements.
    https://www.wahudatools.com/10in-ben...early-bird.htm

Wondering if it's as well regarded a their 8" and 6" models. I tend not tobe an early adopter but I may be ready soon to get a bench jointer.

Itís hard enough to joint on a 6Ē bench top, how on earth would you do it on an, likely underpowered, 10Ē version? I could see this being desirable to super small shops though.

I mean this as positive input to add to your thoughts:

I think you need to get some honest reports from owners of bunch top jointers. IMHO, many reviews are colored by the "someone just got their first jointer" or "someone spent way too much for that machine" syndromes. I think with some decent effort one can make a bench top jointer serve well for small blanks. With a few disassembly/reassembly steps to shim the tables into plane I had my 6" Delta benchtop working well enough to not feel bad about selling it to a friend who does model work. I suppose there are small enough / light enough items requiring 10" of jointer width but, I can't think of what they would be. Decoupage plaques maybe?
    "The Danish government believes that if we train 5,000 designers, and produce
    one Hans Wegner, the money is very well spent." - Ole Gjerlov-Knudsen

This jointer uses a higher speed cutter head and fewer cutter inserts, which together with a universal motor (12K rpm) creates a lot more noise, at a lot higher frequency, than conventional jointers of equivalent size. It ought to be a screamer...

To say it is a "spiral-styled cutterhead" as stated in the manual, is an overreach.

There are only 20 cutter inserts.

Thus, there are apparently only enough inserts for a single, full equivalent row of cutters (though they appear to be staggered over the 6 sides of the cutter head, per the manual illustrations), and a small diameter cutter head, both of which require a slow feed rate to achieve the same surface quality of conventional jointers. However, given the 12 amp motor, a slow feed rate is probably all that it can handle on a wide jointed surface.

The table is very short for a 10" jointer. Shop made extension tables, supported by the extension roller supports, could improve that, but the formed sheet-metal construction may not provide the necessary rigidity.

The cutter head is aluminum (with a steel axle). I would be concerned that striking a nail or rock in the stock being jointed could damage the soft aluminum seat on the cutter head, in addition to the cutter (which would have been damaged on any other machine as well). It is also not clear whether the insert's screws thread into the soft aluminum, or the steel axle.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Itís a presale and not available yet. I have the cutech industrial planer and itís a fine machine for the money.

The limitations of a short bed and small fence are just the reality of benchtops. But for a small shop that works with wider and shorter pieces, it should do well.

So I took your advice and tried to find real world bench jointer pros and cons. All I could find was benchtop jointers were smaller and less powerful which seems rather obvious to me.
    If you have other information I am am all ears to hear it. The Wahuda 10 inch is out of stock at the moment so I have some time to consider options.

As I see it now I can get a full sized 6" like a Jet or get the 10" inch bench jpointer from Wahuda. I don't have $2k, 220vac, and 12 square feet in my shop right now for a 8-12 inchc floor model,

I have a very small multi-purpose shop with limited environemntal control. Small footrpint I can cover is a big deal for me.

I appreciate your input and comments

John, my advice is to consider what kind of workpieces you intend to run across the jointer (length and width). The former is regardless of edge or face jointing; the latter obviously is important for face jointing. THree times the bed length is about the limit for stock length without "doing a dance" with auxiliary support. If your projects tend to be smaller, you may be fine with a benchtop type machine as long as you can deal with the higher noise level and understand that "typically", the benchtop jointers are not as stout and sturdy as their larger, floor-standing cousins. The geometry of using a benchtop jointer is the same as with a larger one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...