Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this clothes dryer part?

What is this clothes dryer part?

What is the function of the white plastic box and the white accordion tube attached to it, show in the photos below? Those parts are in the front panel of a Kenmore model 110.66902691 electric clothes dryer. The box and tube have no electrical connections.

DryerPart1.jpgDryerPart2.jpgDryerPart3.jpg

Condensate line?

I wonder if the white box is the odd sock transmorgrafier that randomly makes a sock disappear
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 09-22-2020 at 7:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    I was going to say humidity trap for the auto-dry sensor but, if there are no wires to it that can't be it. It must be the sock to wire hanger morpher Mike mentions.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is it part of the lint collector ??

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    What is the function of the white plastic box and the white accordion tube attached to it, show in the photos below? Those parts are in the front panel of a Kenmore model 110.66902691 electric clothes dryer. The box and tube have no electrical connections.

DryerPart1.jpgDryerPart2.jpgDryerPart3.jpg
    Probably part of the moisture sensing system, I’d guess. Tells when the clothes are dry.

I don't know either.

The box might be this: signal. For what it’s worth ...

[QUOTE=Doug Dawson;3057246]Probably part of the moisture sensing system, I’d guess. Tells when the clothes are dry.[/QUOTe

Given that some items may be more or less damp/dry than others, the box might be a mixing chamber that helps give a running average of air moisture before the tube sends the air to the moisture sensor.
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 09-22-2020 at 9:01 PM.

The air flows over the filter then it has to go back into the drum somehow. where does the hose end up? gas or electric?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    The box might be this: signal. For what it’s worth ...
    Nice of Appliance Parts to give a detailed description of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    Last house had a Kenmore, which I had to fix about once a year. Was always able to get parts from repairclinic.com. I just looked through, and do not see anything like that on their site for that model number.

So I am going with dryer cancer. You want to burn that out with a flamethrower before it spreads.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-23-2020 at 9:29 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    The air flows over the filter then it has to go back into the drum somehow. where does the hose end up? gas or electric?
    Bil lD
    The hose goes into the cavity where the lint filter fits. In this photo, the plastic grille that forms one side of the cavity and contains the moisture sensor bars has been removed. The green ground wire in the photo goes to a tab on the moisture sensor bars. (Electric dryer, as mentioned in the original post.)

The main flow of air through the filter goes through a metal channel below the filter cavity. The gray metal at the bottom of the photo forms that channel. The circular opening in that channel fits against the blower fan. that pulls air through it.

DryerPart4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    So I am going with dryer cancer. You want to burn that out with a flamethrower before it spreads.

Too late to stop it. There are several good videos about how to disassemble Kenmore 90 Elite dryers. They show the part.
    For example, at 7:55 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZzQ_y2PoU
    That section of the video shows disconnecting a wire to the moisture sensor bars.

does it provide a bypass for air if the lint filter is clogged? it could prevent the electric element from over heating if the lint filter is clogged.