Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon vs Walmart and a strange shipment

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I hate the free shipping, return anything, buyers always right mentality they created, but that's life.
    Why do you hate those things? Seems like good customer relations. Customers certainly appreciate it.

Do you prefer expensive shipping, no returns, buyers always wrong?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I don't particularly care much for Walmart either, but I simply don't have the money to pay other store's higher prices for like goods. And Walmart (or any other store) isn't immune, I buy what's cheapest where it's cheapest.

As to Amazon, convenience and generally reasonable prices keep me coming back. But I do pick a bone with Amazon, simply because: Amazon made Jeff Bezos the richest man in the world, in fairly short order. Occams Razor would point out that the most like reason for that: He charges too much.

But oh well
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

But remember this: the "People Of Walmart" feature gives you a shot at "being discovered"

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    As to Amazon, convenience and generally reasonable prices keep me coming back. But I do pick a bone with Amazon, simply because: Amazon made Jeff Bezos the richest man in the world, in fairly short order. Occams Razor would point out that the most like reason for that: He charges too much.

But oh well
    Amazon stock appreciation, not profits from operations, made Bezos the richest person living. Amazon's margins on sales are toward the low end for the retail industry.

Bezos doesn't differ much from Sam Walton BTW, but as he has passed on, the Walmart wealth is spread among his descendents. Collectively they are the wealthiest family in the country, and worth 75% of what Bezos is worth. Their gross margins are comparable to Amazon.com's.

Seems odd all the hate for walmart and not Amazon, aren't they two of the same kind? Mega giants putting small biz out of business? Treating employees how they like without any real care?
    I already pleaded my hypocrisy in this matter. Short version: I hate Walmart because they wrecked our small town. Amazon came along decades later and gave me options in a town where local options were exceedingly thin. I know they are just as much a corporate behemoth grinding up small businesses as Walmart (both at the retail level, and in their supplier relations, BTW), but they can't take much away from me, 'cause the Waltons already have it. I buy local when I can get what I want locally.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 09-23-2020 at 5:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Why do you hate those things? Seems like good customer relations. Customers certainly appreciate it.

Mike
    I avoid going to retailers who don't or can't treat their customers properly. IMPO "Customer is stupid" mentality and resistance to change/adopt is what caused many businesses to go out of business. It's not just about price or size of business.

Adopt/change: Few days back we were looking for a designer/contractor for renovations. Guess were we started? Google. If a business fails to change based on customer needs then they lose business.

Relationship/treatment: If I have to buy something and it's available at Lee Valley, then I prefer them over Amazon or any other retailers. They surpass others in customer experience, even if their price is little higher.

Customer is extremely important. Amazon and other businesses that have succeeded have realized this. Happy customers translate to volume and that translates to cheaper prices and perks. And that again brings more customers. It's a cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I already pleaded my hypocrisy in this matter. Short version: I hate Walmart because they wrecked our small town. Amazon came along decades later and gave me options in a town where local options were exceedingly thin. I know they are just as much a corporate behemoth grinding up small businesses as Walmart (both at the retail level, and in their supplier relations, BTW), but they can't take much away from me, 'cause the Waltons already have it. I buy local when I can get what I want locally.
    Similar happened to my hometown years ago when Walmart went in, although it started earlier with WT Grant followed by K-Mart in the same space. "Main Street" started to change substantially (the box store wasn't "in town") and at this point is pretty droll when it comes to retail. I honestly am glad I haven't lived there since 1979! Like you, I make an effort to support local businesses when they carry what I need and I have the time to go searching, but Amazon, despite their faults, has so much stuff available within two days without leaving my property and even with the free shipping and returns, the price remains competitive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    Mike, I should have worded that differently. I do enjoy the perks of good customer service free shipping and easy returns. I hate the entitled customer is always right mentality that it's created.

The truth of the matter is the customer is not always right and giant companies who can absorb losses have cowered in the name of "customers always right" and created generations of entitled people.

My perspective is very skewed as I work for a small business that is basically custom making or cutting goods for you. We give samples, show spec sheets, have ample signage for " no returns on custom x or cut items" and then still have to deal with these assholes who want to fight tooth and nail to return something after we've done everything in our power to make sure they understand what they're buying. Shit of the matter is then they leave you a bad review.

That's like you going to the lumber store, buying 20 sheets of plywood, have them rip them into 8" pieces and then want to return them because you wanted osb instead. Is the customer always right then?

How about if you had a contract to build custom maple cabinets, you agreed upon a design, delivered them and then the buyer tells you, well actually don't want maple now, I want painted farmhouse. Should you just eat the material on the maple in the name of the customer's always right, returns on everything? I mean technically the maple plywood you used is still good for something, right?

If we're talking about off the shelf consumer goods, yea return it all. But when those same consumers try that stuff in the custom world is it okay?

Mike, I should have worded that differently. I do enjoy the perks of good customer service free shipping and easy returns. I hate the entitled customer is always right mentality that it's created.

The truth of the matter is the customer is not always right and giant companies who can absorb losses have cowered in the name of "customers always right" and created generations of entitled people.

My perspective is very skewed as I work for a small business that is basically custom making or cutting goods for you. We give samples, show spec sheets, have ample signage for " no returns on custom x or cut items" and then still have to deal with these assholes who want to fight tooth and nail to return something after we've done everything in our power to make sure they understand what they're buying. Shit of the matter is then they leave you a bad review.

That's like you going to the lumber store, buying 20 sheets of plywood, have them rip them into 8" pieces and then want to return them because you wanted osb instead. Is the customer always right then?

How about if you had a contract to build custom maple cabinets, you agreed upon a design, delivered them and then the buyer tells you, well actually don't want maple now, I want painted farmhouse. Should you just eat the material on the maple in the name of the customer's always right, returns on everything? I mean technically the maple plywood you used is still good for something, right?

If we're talking about off the shelf consumer goods, yea return it all. But when those same consumers try that stuff in the custom world is it okay?
    Not sure I agree with your thinking re off the shelf consumer goods.We bought our last TV from a chain of stores that mainly sell big box store returns. It was essentially brand new but about 25% off with full warranty. When I commented that I was amazed at how much stock they had the salesman replied that 40% of home electronics are returned and many retailers don't want to deal with them so they wholesale them off. Some are defective and get refurbished others people just changed their minds and some I have heard people buy for a special occasion (think Super Bowl) use and then return. Assuming the store I bought from marked up 10% (probably more), then the original store wholesaled it off for 65% of retail. What kind of markup from wholesale do you need if you know you will need to account for 40% of your sales coming back and selling for 35% off. I'm sure the % are much higher. That's gotta drive up prices for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Not sure I agree with your thinking re off the shelf consumer goods.We bought our last TV from a chain of stores that mainly sell big box store returns. It was essentially brand new but about 25% off with full warranty. When I commented that I was amazed at how much stock they had the salesman replied that 40% of home electronics are returned and many retailers don't want to deal with them so they wholesale them off. Some are defective and get refurbished others people just changed their minds and some I have heard people buy for a special occasion (think Super Bowl) use and then return. Assuming the store I bought from marked up 10% (probably more), then the original store wholesaled it off for 65% of retail. What kind of markup from wholesale do you need if you know you will need to account for 40% of your sales coming back and selling for 35% off. I'm sure the % are much higher. That's gotta drive up prices for all of us.
    I notice some stores have tighten up on their return policy. For example, Costco now has a shorter return period for electronics than for other things (and Costco used to take things back VERY easily). And many stores track your returns. If you return too much (according to them) they will refuse to take a return from you.

I think Amazon charges some fee if the item you purchased is not damaged or not working - if you just decided you didn't want it. I haven't looked at that in a long while so I'm not sure.

Also, under certain conditions the store will announce that they will not take returns. I remember in New Orleans when a hurricane was coming, stores selling generators had signs up, "Generator sales are FINAL - NO RETURNS". Before that people would buy a generator and if they didn't lose power they'd take it back unused.

So stores are starting to protect themselves, but they still eat a lot of returns.

Mike

[My wife was at a woman's meeting some time back. She noticed that one of the women had a tag still attached to her dress so she offered to cut it off for her. The woman said, "Oh, no, I'll probably return this tomorrow." I thought that was a bit excessive (and somewhat gross).]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-23-2020 at 11:07 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I meant in regards to unused goods. I am also not a fan of the buy it use it return it policy either and it goes back to my first point I was making to the entitled customers always right.

I meant in regards to unused goods. I am also not a fan of the buy it use it return it policy either and it goes back to my first point I was making to the entitled customers always right.
    I was actually going agree with your first post until I reread the line "If we're talking about off the shelf consumer goods, yea return it all."
    I sometimes think if retail stores charged restocking fees for some returns like most stores that sell primarily to tradesmen, we would all pay less.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 09-23-2020 at 11:30 PM.

I was actually going agree with your first post until I reread the line "If we're talking about off the shelf consumer goods, yea return it all."
    I sometimes think if retail stores charged restocking fees for some returns like most stores that sell primarily to tradesmen, we would all pay less.
    I work in industrial distribution so I am well aware of restock fees. They definitely make you think twice about over buying for a project and I agree we all would likely pay less.