Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon vs Walmart and a strange shipment

Amazon vs Walmart and a strange shipment

We were out of half gallon canning jars. You can't buy canning supplies anywhere locally, because the population has been inspired by Covid to think they should preserve more garden produce, and the jars, lids and rings are all sold out everywhere.

So, went to amazon.com, found a deal from one of their hosted retailers on a case lot, and ordered it. 2 and a half weeks later, a box in Walmart livery shows up on our doorstep. It's a case of half gallon canning jars, shipped directly from walmart.com to us.

I admit I paid a bit of a premium to Amazon to get the order - really needed those jars - but it must be a damn thin living to arbitrage between Amazon prime (no cost shipping) and walmart.com (paid shipping).

sounds like collusion.

Walmart free shipping in a few days for $35.00 orders. Amazon over $100 a year for free shipping. But the Amazon shipping is faster unless you join the Walmart club for $90 to get faster free shipping.
    Most stuff from walmart will ship for free to the local store for you to pickup. that saved me a lot on shipping a sleeping bag.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Walmart free shipping in a few days for $35.00 orders.
    Didn't know that.

(We don't normally give any custom to Walmart. Buggers bought our city council and destroyed our small town. Haven't really ever forgiven them.)

I have no evidence but from my experiences and from a few I've read, Amazon will go out of their way to provide what you ordered, even if it means buying from competitors...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

people are canning more, but also restaraunts bought cases and cases of mason jars for "to go" alcohol sales.

also, people should know how to do these things. we were able to find lots of jars at the Walmart on the fancy end of town, our end has been sold out for months.

The third party vendor likely lists on both Amazon and Wally-world...and apparently fulfilled via stock held in Walmart warehousing.

I personally would be "really unhappy" about this because I don't give even pennies to Walmart for personal reasons...but I digress...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you use the target credit card you get 5% off and free shipping over $35 as well. The card is free.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I personally would be "really unhappy" about this because I don't give even pennies to Walmart for personal reasons...but I digress...
    Yep. Had some make-up work from the love of my life when that Walmart box showed up. They've been in our town in two different incarnations for close to 40 years, and I think she has NEVER been in either store. I have spent maybe $100 there over that time period.

I am acutely aware, however, that my personal animosity toward Walmart probably fits Amazon just as well, and I do patronize that monster. Consistency is not a human strong suit.

In my case, it was how a family member was treated as an employee. Amazon definitely is no saint, but let's just say that their delivery drivers know our driveway very well. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I had the same thing happen with two orders in the past month. Ordered from Amazon & boxes from Walmart arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drackman View Post
    I had the same thing happen with two orders in the past month. Ordered from Amazon & boxes from Walmart arrived.
    The thing to look for is whether you ordered from Amazon or from one of their third party sellers. I can see this happening for a third party seller, but I doubt it would happen if you ordered from Amazon, itself.

Like others, I'm no fan of Walmart.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Up until a few years ago, out of principle, I had never set foot in a Walmart. Then my car battery died. Autozone: $239.95; AAA: $259.95; O’Reilly: $264.95; BigO Tires: $314.95. All 4 had to order it with a wait of 2-3 days (it was a Saturday). So I checked the local Walmart and they had the battery in stock for $149.95. Made in US by Johnson Controls. 3 year full replacement warranty (not prorated like the other 4). Don’t get a lot of stuff there, but I’ve been a customer ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    We were out of half gallon canning jars. You can't buy canning supplies anywhere locally, because the population has been inspired by Covid to think they should preserve more garden produce, and the jars, lids and rings are all sold out everywhere.

So, went to amazon.com, found a deal from one of their hosted retailers on a case lot, and ordered it. 2 and a half weeks later, a box in Walmart livery shows up on our doorstep. It's a case of half gallon canning jars, shipped directly from walmart.com to us.

I admit I paid a bit of a premium to Amazon to get the order - really needed those jars - but it must be a damn thin living to arbitrage between Amazon prime (no cost shipping) and walmart.com (paid shipping).
    This is strange. Did item mention "Shipped by Amazon"? If yes, it very wiered. If it was shipped by 3rd party seller then I can imagine it happening.

Have read on internet, some people sell on Amazon (3rd party) and when they get an order, they proxy order to some other retailer. If it's the case I would report the same to customer care. Don't know if it's allowed by policy.

What does happen is sometimes "Shipped by Amazon" item arrives directly from manufacturer. Happened once, when I ordered a pump for hot tub.

Seems odd all the hate for walmart and not Amazon, aren't they two of the same kind? Mega giants putting small biz out of business? Treating employees how they like without any real care?

Personally I like Walmart, I shop at walmart a lot. Do I agree with everything they do? Hell no, do I appreciate inexpensive goods, very much so.

I am fascinated by both / all giants. It's amazing to me what they've been able to accomplish. I hate the free shipping, return anything, buyers always right mentality they created, but that's life.