Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New plane

Blog Entries
    Rob,
    Quit teasing us and post a picture at least.

Rob, I know this is not a wish list thread....
    but my wish is, you make a MUCH longer edge iron plane.
    While I love the 3 I own,

1) they are too small for average hands, you easily to get your hands cut on a wood corner when END grain planing
    2) They are not long enough to get a good reference when EDGE grain planing a board 4"+...

I would double the width of the plane, and IMO, it would be much more useful for END grain.

A 2nd request, 4x longer you and you can do some EDGE work. and this plane would be highly useful and a new LV innovation in hand planes. This edge plane would be an inverse of your wonder shooting plane.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Rob,
    Quit teasing us and post a picture at least.
    Hi Lowell,

Will do sometime next week....working from the cottage as much as possible before we have to close it up. Still working remotely, so have not been in the shop for awhile....that will change pretty soon!

Cheers,

Rob

899441AD-D97B-42E5-A5B6-2275C58DDF12.jpeg
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 10-09-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Hi Will,

An interesting take....I have seen longer wood edge trimming planes, but not cast ones.

Most manufacturers have historically offered fences of various types for this function (as we have). Weight has got to be an issue here...

I certainly think it’s worth a look....

Cheers,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Lowell,

Will do sometime next week....working from the cottage as much as possible before we have to close it up. Still working remotely, so have not been in the shop for awhile....that will change pretty soon!

Cheers,

Rob

899441AD-D97B-42E5-A5B6-2275C58DDF12.jpeg
    Makes me wonder why you don’t specialize in fishing gear too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Makes me wonder why you don’t specialize in fishing gear too.
    Well.....I have been known to do a bit of trolling.....

Ha! You have a spectacular view.

Okay, now that we're hooked...

Will do sometime next week....working from the cottage as much as possible before we have to close it up...
    Spectacular view Robin! It would be hard to leave that... until it is cold!

> Most manufacturers have historically offered fences of various types for this function (as we have). Weight has got to be an issue here...

Rob, I own every plane fence you make. They are good for angles, if you are VERY CAREFUL. For the commonplace 90 deg, nothing beats grabbing a fixed metal plane that is always reliable. No fussing trying to get a fence to a perfect 90 on both ends and it not slipping a tiny bit during planning. (sorry, but that is the reality of using them)

Considering how light weight your edge plans are, putting 3 of them together, would still be very light weight. Since its only for edges of standard size boards, 1 inch or less it can prob. use the same blades you currently use. Count me in for a left n right version if you make them. The ones you make now are only really useful for end grain, as they have such limited length. This length of reference is not useful for a 2- 4ft board. 20" plane length would be an ideal target IMO!
    I would love to come out of my power jointer, and make one swipe with this long edge plane to clean it up... DONE. It would get a LOT of use for me, and prob. many others.