Thread: Hurricane Trees

Hurricane Trees

Anybody on here local to SE TX or SW LA looking to round up downed trees. I have collected a fairly long list of people that still have downed trees and are asking for help. I've tried to make it clear to the people on my list that I'm not a tree service and I'm not felling any trees, but I just want to take the logs. Let me know if anyone is interested, I hate to see this much wood go to the landfill.

Nathan, a significant portion of trees downed due to high winds are full of "wind shake". The logs are almost worthless from a lumber standpoint.

Uprooted trees fare better than sheared off ones, but you may end up doing a lot of work and not yielding much usable lumber from it.

I have noticed a lot of wind shake, and water oak is the dominant oak species around here, and water oaks of a certain age start to rot in the center and those are the ones that tend to uproot. So no there's not a lot of "quality" logs, just a lot of logs. It will definitely be a learning experience. Even if I don't get much yield I enjoy just running the mill, and I managed to help out my neighbors.