Thread: Scroll saw question

Blog Entries

Scroll saw question

I have a Ridgid scroll saw which will not hold pinless blades which I would like to use. I understand there are conversion kits for some saws to allow the saw to use pinless blades. Has anyone used any of these? How did they work? Where did you get them?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I've used a number of scroll saws, of different manufacturers, and never encountered one that required pin blades. I didn't even know they sold pin blades for scroll saws.

But my work with scroll saws has been limited to marquetry. Maybe for sawing heavier wood they make scroll saws that require pin blades.

How old is your scroll saw? And what is the model number?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I always thought the pins were for coping saws but maybe not,been know to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    I always thought the pins were for coping saws but maybe not,been know to be wrong.
    Years and years ago I had a Dremel scroll saw that used pin blades.

Generally, pin end scroll saws are not designed for pin less blades because there is no mechanism in them that pulls the blade back up, except usually a spring in the top assembly. These saws require heavier blades because of this. The pin less blades in the better designed saws can be very small, since there is a mechanical mechanism to both pull down on the blade as well as to pull the blade back up from the top. The blade remains under constant and controlled tension during the cut and even very tiny blades usually wear out long before they break. With the older design scroll saws there was a mechanism that forcibly pulled the blade down, but the design depended on a spring in the top to pull the blade back up. If you are using one of these saws, and you bind the blade, the lower mechanism pushes up anyway, buckling and frequently breaking the blades. These blades had to be much larger and have pinned ends, but even then you would go through a lot of buckled and broken blades trying to cut something. Pin less blades also let you thread the blade through smaller starter holes, letting you do inside cuts on very small pieces.

If your saw is designed for pinned end blades, don't waste your money on trying to convert it. You will not be very happy with it. Find yourself a newer scroll saw that is a true scroll saw that uses pin less blades. They have been available for about 25 years now, so finding one at a flea market, pawn shop, etc. can be had for a very reasonable price. Look for the better brands and one in clean condition, indicating that it will likely have been used very little. The better Brands are DeWalt, Pegus, Jet, Excalibur, and King.

Be careful though, because scrollsawing can become quite addicting. Some people slide down the slippery slope of scrollsawing very quickly, but then there are woodturners who have slid down that slippery slope in woodworking as well. I tend to make things that are smaller than most, and frequently 3D, like those in the attached photos. My present scroll saw is a DeWalt 788 Type 1. I slid down that slippery slope about 50 years ago and never found a way or desire to climb back out. Yes, I started with pin end blades, but hated it. Then I got my first new designed scroll saw with pin less blade capability and went down the steeper part of that slope. Now I typically work with blades that are only 0.010" thick or less (that's about 3X as thick as a strand of fine human hair) and I usually change blades when they get dull because they almost never break.

You should also join www.scrollsawvillage.com, because that's where the scrollsaw guru's hang out, and where you can get the most help. I am one of their members, using the name CharleyL.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 09-23-2020 at 2:50 PM.

Thanks for that explanation, Charley. I've seen some of those old scroll saws that have a spring return at the top of the blade. Never realized they required pinned blades. Never used one, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    uses pin less blades. They have been available for about 25 years now,
    Charley
    Nice scrolling in your pictures. I have a Walker Turner scroll saw that was made in the early 1940's that uses pinless blades. Attached is a picture of it when I had just got home with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used scroll saws that took blades with pins and I've used saws that took pinless blades. I've even used a saw that would take either blade type. I would like to have a scroll saw in my shop again. Mine died a long time ago and I've never replaced it.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I've used scroll saws that took blades with pins and I've used saws that took pinless blades. I've even used a saw that would take either blade type. I would like to have a scroll saw in my shop again. Mine died a long time ago and I've never replaced it.
    I wish you were closer, Dennis. I have a Hegner scroll saw I'm trying to sell.

Mike

I got a cheap Wen for occasional use $110.00 @ amazon. Works fine am happy. Holds both pin and pinless blades. It holds pinless blades by pinching the ends kinda like a vise, holds fine.