Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CWI 3hp cyclone crapped out on me

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Have a listen to the video. The motor starts to spin up, then starts sounding bad just before the OL trips. I doubt it's the OL. And he shouldn't really take it apart if it's under warranty.
    I agree it's unlikely, but then again, melting a squirrel cage is unlikely, too. Sounds like it's only on for 2 seconds before the OL trips.

Blog Entries
    So, quick follow up. Replaced start cap, because its so easy, no dice. Starting amperage is somewhere in excess of 130 amp, now I’m no electrician, but that seems a tad high, lol. So my guys tested the motor, low resistance, he figured the starter windings are shorted, whatever that means. Coles notes, warranty-o’clock.

If CWI replaces the motor for you and doesn't require the return of the old one then, please, please, take it apart, get some pics and post them here before you dispose of it.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin byers View Post
    So, quick follow up. Replaced start cap, because its so easy, no dice. Starting amperage is somewhere in excess of 130 amp, now I’m no electrician, but that seems a tad high, lol. So my guys tested the motor, low resistance, he figured the starter windings are shorted, whatever that means. Coles notes, warranty-o’clock.
    Around 10X full load amps at start is common.

Have you talked to CWI about warranty yet ? I am curious how they will handle it. I have looked at a lot of their stuff at the store in Calgary but never purchased from them.