Thread: Electrical question - Levelor blinds

Electrical question - Levelor blinds

We installed a Levelor motorized blind in June and it quit in August. It is powered by an 18 volt battery wand (holder). The batteries are good but no output voltage. The wand is just a plastic tube that holds two rows of AA cells connected at the back end and with a cord to the front. There is no continuity at the back end and there is a small circuit thing there.

Levelor is sending a new wand that should fix it but the customer service tech didn't know what the device was. So two questions:

What does that device do, Can I just jumper it out?

Can I power the blind from my 18 volt Ryobi batteries? (not that I want to but if it becomes a battery hog then maybe)

We really like the blind.

I've never seen or heard of that brand of battery-operated blind. But in general, when using alternative power supplies keep the voltage the same. If there is circuitry be especially careful. Perhaps the circuitry is an RF receiver for remote control.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    We installed a Levelor motorized blind in June and it quit in August. It is powered by an 18 volt battery wand (holder). The batteries are good but no output voltage. The wand is just a plastic tube that holds two rows of AA cells connected at the back end and with a cord to the front. There is no continuity at the back end and there is a small circuit thing there.

Levelor is sending a new wand that should fix it but the customer service tech didn't know what the device was. So two questions:

What does that device do, Can I just jumper it out?

Can I power the blind from my 18 volt Ryobi batteries? (not that I want to but if it becomes a battery hog then maybe)

We really like the blind.

Yes it could be an RF receiver but since it is in series with the batteries it can only function as an ON OFF switch. Reverse would have to be elsewhere.

How about a pic of the "small circuit thing"? Seems an unlikely place for the RF receiver. Might just be a series diode to prevent damage from reversed batteries, or a current limiter, or even a type of fuse....
    Whether or not it is safe to use your Ryobi battery will depend on what the circuit is.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I have the Lutron electric blinds. Six D cells are in the top of the blinds to power them and the receiver with a small remote to control them. I use them every day, and the main batteries lasted 5 years before changeout. My remote is still going on the original battery. Just an FYI, doesn't answer your question, sorry.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks Ole
    Paul here's a pic, cat sleeping in the sun made a good backdrop.

Levelor.jpg

I think Velux makes some battery skylight motors with solar panels. All installed inside out of the weather.
    Bil lD

Does it take rechargeable batteries? That little pill in the middle might be a diode...if it fails open, no output.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Regular batteries came with it.

The new wand arrived and is no different.

If that's a diode it would prevent wrong polarity if the batteries are loaded wrong but the blind was working fine then just quit so polarity should not be the problem.

I jumped out the device and got voltage from the wand but did not connect it to the blind. I'll try loading the batteries the other way and check for voltage but still not connect to the blind. Guessing that wrong polarity may cause damage.

Will call Levelor next week. Warranty is 10 years.