Thread: Flooring makes a difference, and moving benches is always fun

Flooring makes a difference, and moving benches is always fun

At my last shop, I had old school linoleum and some remnants of cork flooring that we did in the kitchen for floors. This shop's all concrete, and I hated it.

I have a weird step up in the slab (I have no idea what the PO was thinking when he built the building, none of it made sense), so I decided to make that all bench area, and put down dricore subflooring. It's made a seriously noticeable difference standing and working in that area, and was far cheaper than 8mm rubber mats would have been (about 25% of the cost of the mats). The other thing that I always liked about it, is that things hitting the floor isn't as necessarily detrimental as concrete is. If/when I build another bench, I rather suspect that the metal bench will migrate. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's finally starting to fell like a work space.

~mike

happy in my mud hut

Looking good Mike.

would love to have your room. I think the raised area is part of the building code, my newer house in Houston was the same

ken

Mike,

Maybe the P.O. was going to use the space where your tablesaw is located for garage, I believe you need that change in grade for code if the space is going to be used for cars/trucks. The step contains fuel spills.

So, the building was split into 2 sheds, two small 'shops' and a carport when I got it (so 5 rooms instead of one). It's old enough he could have easily made a single pour and been code legal in this geo. It's a pain to deal with.. but it's working out well as a bench area. It just really limits what can be done.

It's also a separate building, and the raised area is opposite the side closest to the house. I do like it, it's just odd. My last shop was a 18x20 shop sharing a wall with the living room. I'm very happy about my new space
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    So, the building was split into 2 sheds, two small 'shops' and a carport when I got it (so 5 rooms instead of one). It's old enough he could have easily made a single pour and been code legal in this geo. It's a pain to deal with.. but it's working out well as a bench area. It just really limits what can be done.

It's also a separate building, and the raised area is opposite the side closest to the house. I do like it, it's just odd. My last shop was a 18x20 shop sharing a wall with the living room. I'm very happy about my new space
    Mike,

Interesting, with the additional info like you not a clue why. Was it a two pour job? But if it was why not make it level. Other than I'm sure over time I would trip and/or fall off the ledge (and I did), it does make a defined work area.

ken

Just consider it your stage to amaze the world with what you make.

Yep, there was a positive side effect of putting the dricore up there. It's easier to 'see' the different height areas. I've tripped off of it in the past, so that's a serious benefit. It's just awkward, so I scratch my head trying to figure out what the guy who built it was thinking. I'm also hitting the point where I may elicit ideas about things, or at least knock them around a bit. Neither dog is helpful in that regard.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut