Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Should Have a Folder for Power Tool Manuals

We Should Have a Folder for Power Tool Manuals

Maybe its a copyright infringement issue, but it would sure be nice if we had a library of power tool manuals that members could upload and read. Especially nice for older machines.

I apologize if this question has been asked before.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    I have a directory on my computer for this. I have all my manuals and any manuals I happen to download when assisting others with questions. Since these are all for my own use I do not concern myself about copyrights. I certainly appreciate that you and others do in regard to public forums though. A centralized repository here would be great as many could contribute.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since the manufacturers make the manuals available for free on their websites, I doubt if they would object to anyone else making them available. It would be a service to them and some free advertising.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Since the manufacturers make the manuals available for free on their websites, I doubt if they would object to anyone else making them available. It would be a service to them and some free advertising.

Mike
    That isn't always true. Once it's discontinued, it's generally gone.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I know OWWM has links to manuals, but they only allow those for older non-Asian tools. They might allow people to post newer non-Asian tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Maybe its a copyright infringement issue, but it would sure be nice if we had a library of power tool manuals that members could upload and read. Especially nice for older machines.

I apologize if this question has been asked before.
    I misread the post and change the subject slightly. I try to keep the manual with the tool, and it’s a bit of a mishmash, but it would be nice to have a source for clear vinyl pouches into which you could insert the docs for a machine, which could be mechanically attached to it, with rivets or whatever. Not so easy to find.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a post like the one in Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805

It could be in the General Woodworking and Power Tools organized by maker with links to various tools by type and model.

It might take up too much memory for SMC to be host to all the files.

Google seems good for finding .pdfs of old catalogs and instruction manuals for hand tools.

https://www.manualslib.com < has manuals for all kinds of things.

Now that the internet has been around a while it seems some of the folks that used to keep web sites full of information have moved on to other things.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I know OWWM has links to manuals, but they only allow those for older non-Asian tools. They might allow people to post newer non-Asian tools.
    As long as it fits the guidelines of being old enough and non-Asian made.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I misread the post and change the subject slightly. I try to keep the manual with the tool, and it’s a bit of a mishmash, but it would be nice to have a source for clear vinyl pouches into which you could insert the docs for a machine, which could be mechanically attached to it, with rivets or whatever. Not so easy to find.
    I keep all my manuals electronically on my computer. If all I have is a paper copy, I scan that into a .pfd. That way, I don't lose any and I know exactly where they are. (my computer is backed up three ways to avoid loss)

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I bought sheet protectors like these. I put my manuals in them, and put the manual/sheet protector in 2 large binders on a shelf in my shop. It works well for me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I bought sheet protectors like these. I put my manuals in them, and put the manual/sheet protector in 2 large binders on a shelf in my shop. It works well for me.
    Same here, great for smaller things, manuals in plastic protectors and in 3-ring binders. I put the receipt for the tool with the manual.

Documents for equipment too big for protectors get their own binder - one for five related to the tractor, one for the skid steer, excavator, etc. I have a shelf full of these.

Older tools and small things, such as battery packs, go in the file cabinet in the shop. Something that has also helped are binders with plastic protectors for small manuals, receipts, and warranties for appliances and things for the house. It's nice to be able to find everything quickly, all in one place.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe a post like the one in Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805

https://www.manualslib.com < has manuals for all kinds of things.

jtk
    That's the one I use.

Try uploading your manual to the Lumberyard Forum. Be advised that you can upload zip files up to 3 meg.

I really like this idea but have no idea if it is a reasonable request. I do know that I would still be trying and failing to get my A3-41 setup properly without the "secret" manuals provided by SMC folks that the Hammer reps either didn't know about or didn't feel I was qualified to have.

Staples has them.
    https://www.staples.com/Staples-Heav...8aAi9SEALw_wcB