Thread: Contacts and friends

Contacts and friends

I am seeing more and more fascinating people here. Often lately I see someone I want to remember. It seems forward to ask them to be your "friend" here, and frankly that sounds too much like Facebook to me (I don't touch it anymore). But then there is the Contact designation. As far as I know I've added three people to contacts, but I can't really find them, and I don't remember how I did it, so I can't add ore that way. What is the significance of Contacts anyway?

What is the best way to keep track of specific people?

On a related note, there are some threads I would like to be able to locate several weeks or months after they die down. What's the best way to keep favored threads in an organized place in my profile? The idea bank is priceless.

Thanks! This place is a net good in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    I am seeing more and more fascinating people here. Often lately I see someone I want to remember. It seems forward to ask them to be your "friend" here, and frankly that sounds too much like Facebook to me (I don't touch it anymore). But then there is the Contact designation. As far as I know I've added three people to contacts, but I can't really find them, and I don't remember how I did it, so I can't add ore that way. What is the significance of Contacts anyway?
    The difference between "Contacts" and "Friends" is the mutual acceptance. Contacts are all members on your "Friend" list. If the other person adds you to their "Friend" list, then you become each others "Friend". The only place I can think of where this becomes useful is when setting your profile privacy settings. You can select Everyone, Registered Members, Contacts, and Friends. I don't know if this allows you to pass notes to each other during Geometry class, but it is mostly useless except for the profile privacy. If you do not have any Friends or Contacts, and set your privacy settings to either of these, only Moderators and Administrators will be able to view what would be your public profile.

What is the best way to keep track of specific people?
    To see your contacts, click "Settings" on the upper right corner of the screen. In the next page, scroll down and select "Friends and Contacts" in the "My Settings" block on the left. You will see all of your contacts, and will have the option to send a friend request by checking the "Friend" box in their name and clicking on "Save Changes". If the member accepts your offer, you both become Friends, or mutual Contacts.

On a related note, there are some threads I would like to be able to locate several weeks or months after they die down. What's the best way to keep favored threads in an organized place in my profile? The idea bank is priceless.
    If there is a thread you want to find later, go to the thread and then click on "Thread Tools" at the top right of the first post. Click on "Subscribe to this Thread..." and then decide how you want to be notified of new posts in the thread. Click on "Add Subscription" to save the selection.

To see your saved threads, click on "Settings" on the upper right corner of the screen. In the next page, click on "Subscriptions" in the "My Subscriptions" block on the left. You will see all of the threads you saved and can go to them as desired.
    Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 09-21-2020 at 2:10 PM.

Thanks, Mike. Just what I was looking for.