Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

20 Sep 2020

Greetings,
    I'm getting an earlier start this time as I'm taking a much needed break from online activity as well as taking a break from "the day job".
    I've been working in the shop a bit, working on bending some wood the old school way and without a steam box. This is for the last addition to The LOML's new kitchen pantry project. I've also taken an order from a local bakery for some of my smaller boards for them to use as serving boards in the store. I'll start those when I come off my "break". The temps here are cooler and enjoyable. I am so ready for these temps and a bit cooler to come and stay for a while.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Enjoy your break, Dennis!

This past week was the first week of recovery from my macular hole eye surgery so it involved a lot of of reading (with my left eye, of course since it will be a month to a month and a half before the right one is back to working "normally) and a few tasks around the house. Drove for the first time on Friday and also cut the grass. Did some design work for my next guitar project (a bass this time) and spent Sunday afternoon doing some cleanup in the upstairs of my shop including getting a bunch of stored stuff ready for donation to the ReStore this week.

I will hopefully get back to some actual woodworking activities in a week or so as I have a few things lined up for clients as well as some personal work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis , Enjoy your muh deserved break. And Jim, I'm glad your eye surgery recovery is going along uneventfully.

As for me, no shop time this weekend, but did spend some time at our son's for the remodel project. This weekend's project was to re-locate both the stairways. We got the new opening to the second floor headed off and a temporary set of stairs installed. Removed the old stairs to the second floor, installed new full length joists and sheeted the floor. For the set to the basement, we got the new opening framed. Next weekend we'll probably start the permanent stairs for the basement run. Back to the shop this week to continue the vanity build.

More office remodel work for me. I got the flooring installed, and the french doors painted. Made a piece of oak Tee molding as a transition between the new floor and the oak hardwood in the hallway. Also did some more design work on the desks, nailing down drawer sizes and the like.

Made a lumber yard run to pick up baseboard and shoe, and also some cherry crown that I will use to dress up the top of the built-ins. The whole trip should have taken 3 hours (the yard I use for molding is an hour away) but took an entire afternoon as they were very busy, and with Covid, no one is allowed in the barns except employees, so employees have to pull all the orders. I would have ordered online ahead of time, but I wanted to color match the cherry sticks and didn't know I wouldn't be allowed into the barns.....Oh well. Fortunately the gent pulling my order did a great job pulling matching stock.

I took half a day and did the fall furnace tuneup and cleaning to prepare for heating season, as it's been dropping into the upper 30's at night this week. Won't actually need the heat for a while but want to be ready.

Yesterday I smoked 3 racks of ribs. One rack gave the Mrs and me a couple meals the other two will go in the freezer for winter enjoyment.

Finally, I spent most of this evening trying to find a replacement microwave oven as ours died during dinner preparations. Spent a little time determining that the Magnetron was toast and the rest of the evening trying to find a suitable model that wouldn't take two months to get. Finally found one at HD that *should* be here Friday.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dennis, I too am welcoming the cooler temperatures - we have had a couple of frosts in NE Pennsylvania. Working on my sister's rusted balcony - been using a paint and rust stripper wheel on my electric drill. It is effective, but I think I spent too much time trying to get down to bare metal - I think the Rustoleum primer will take care of some remaining rust. Got some shop time in today. Took my chest of drawers outside on on beautiful sunny day and got some hand sanding in. Back to the balcony tomorrow. balcony 1.jpgbalcony 2.jpg

I decided this Fall, it is time to give my lawn some serious healthcare. I've neglected it for the past 3 years and it shows.

I took a soil sample down to a local landscape shop and went back there for the results this past Thursday. I figured I'd come back with two or three bags of fertilizer and a bag of grass seed, so I took the wife SUV. I came back with eighteen, 50 pound , bags of t different supplements.

Figuring this would take me about 5 hours and about 6 miles of walking to spread all of this, I went to Amazon and had a 130lb tow behind broadcast spreader delivered in two days. Got the whole lot spread in about 2 hours. Now I need some rain.

On the woodworking side, I finished another Purpleheart and Maple end grain cutting board for one of my wife's friends as a small wedding present. I did a little epoxy inlay experiment on the underside. Got a couple of boo-boo's, but they'll just have to live with that.

Chris, that inlay looks GREAT!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well done on the cutting board Chris!