Thread: Hollowing System Recommendations?

Hollowing System Recommendations?

Hi folks:

I am exploring adding a hollowing system to my lathe.

I have a Powermatic 3520b standard bed.

I've looked at videos that explain the D-way, the Lyle Jamison and the Trent Bosh hollowing systems. I am leaning towards one of the captured or articulated systems; but it looks like some of the captured systems need a long bed on the lathe.

I'd appreciate hearing from people who have experience with hollowing systems and please tell me if they would fit on my lathe.

DOC

I've only used one system (Trent Bosch) which works great for me, both with his tools and ones I already had from John Jordan. I've outfitted it with a home brew camera using the laser holder that he makes. I like the fact that it allows the same sort of tool use and body positions that I'm used to for freehand hollowing; I especially like the compact form factor and use of the tool rest banjo for support that makes it easy to pop on and off and store in my shop. My headstock slides on the ways so I tend to use it with the headstock slid down so I can stand at the end of lathe, as you would on a short bed bowl lathe. If you have occasion to work on more than one lathe it's very simple to adapt. It's a well engineered, well made product.

Others speak highly of other choices; I can neither compare nor recommend one over the others.

I think that for other than very deep forms you can use a captured system on your lathe, and you can fabricate a bed extension for those instances.

The articulated systems are more compact, but seem to be more limited as to depth than captured ones. I have a home-made articulating system, but have done only shallow projects thus far (6"). I am waiting on a Clark hollowing setup for which I have high hopes- I guess it would be considered a type of captured system. https://www.theokspindoctor.com/Clar...tem-s/1848.htm

I have the D-way hollower but it is only for shallow forms, maybe 6-7” deep. It is really easy to use and works well, but I’m planning on getting a different system for deeper vessels and kind of wish I would have saved the money spent on the D-way hollower.

Tom

I have a DIY captured hollower with a Jaimeson bar and carbide cutter and it works well. The upside is that the cost was reasonably low and it is very solid with resisting torque forces.

The downside is that it does take up a fair amount of room on my Jet 1642" lathe bed and requires a wide frame for the captured bar handle. If budget wasn't an issue, I would prefer the articulated style hollower.

DIY Captured Hollower 2.jpg

DIY Captured Hollower 3.jpg

DIY Captured Hollower 1.jpg

I would have preferred round tubular steel for the frame and handle to minimize contact between them, however the square tubing was free from a friend's trailer project so the price was right. The frame has since been lined with teflon glide tape and works fine.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-20-2020 at 3:42 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Check out Tim Yoder' site. He has a system that may work.
    http://wtwtim.com/elbo.htm
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

THANKS for all of the replies.

I have the Jamieson hollowing system (captured) and use the Trent Bosh business ends. If I can fit it on my Stubby, you can certainly get it to work with the big PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For what it's worth I have a Kobra, a home made Jamesion type and a D-way (reverse turning) followers. I use each of them on a regular basis. It just seems to me that each has it's place depending on what I am hollowing. If I could only have one of these would go for an articulating. I started out with an Elbow which is similar to the one referred to from Tim Yoder. I soon got rid of it because I just didn't like the way it moved but it could be because of my setup and I didn't like the tailstock attachment. The D-way works as advertised but the cutter is not as pleasant to use as the smaller carbide or tool steel in my opinion. I am in a good position as I can make and modify many of the cutters/scrapers to fit both the other systems. Oh but the way I do not do any really deep hollowing the deepest I am likely to go is about 12" and probably average about 8".
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks for all of the responses, and, Richard, the links to other threads was really valuable.

I don't own one but have this on my wish list. The Clark sure seems to be real nice. Anyone else have a clark and care to comment?

If your a DIY guy this is my home made unit. The directions are free from Captain Eddie.B.jpg
    This is a 3520B.