Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable routers R.I.P ?

Porter Cable routers R.I.P ?

Heard a rumor that was confirmed , but not verified that SBD has pulled the plug on Porter Cable routers. Stock is low or out at many retailers, and some sites have removed the brand’s routers altogether.

I’ve got a query into SBD, but don’t expect to hear anything meaningful , or for months.

If anyone has any knowledge, feel free to share.

Shame. I have three, all running beautifully. One is from the USA construction era, the other two hecho in México.

Maybe the current offerings outperform the PCs? I suppose I'd like mine more if they had effective dust collection when used hand-held, the way many recent products do. In the table it doesn't matter. I keep saying I'm going to modify my plunge router to attach a dust hose, but then I just pull it off the shelf to use it and put it back after the job. And after sucking up a mountain of chips. Someday, maybe.

This means if my routers ever kick the bucket I'll need to replace them with a contemporary unit. Could be worse, I guess. It was ever thus. Even with the Bailey-pattern planes after about 60 years. I think the real news here is Stanley Black and Decker, the parent since 2010, could not maintain the Porter Cable brand identity, and that is lamentable.

Maybe the in-stock PCs will go on deep sale?

If that’s true, it might be time to purchase a back-up 7518 for my router table. That is one I wouldn’t want to be without.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I bought a 75182 a couple months ago, no issue with stock. I've looked a bit at the mid sized combo set and it is out of stock. But the fixed base from that set was in stock each time I looked. But I really don't need another mid sized, I have two PC 690s. But the current model mid sized has dust collection in the plunge base. I would be a little sad if they went away but there are lots of good routers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Shame. I have three, all running beautifully. One is from the USA construction era, the other two hecho in México.

Maybe the current offerings outperform the PCs? I suppose I'd like mine more if they had effective dust collection when used hand-held, the way many recent products do. In the table it doesn't matter. I keep saying I'm going to modify my plunge router to attach a dust hose, but then I just pull it off the shelf to use it and put it back after the job. And after sucking up a mountain of chips. Someday, maybe.

This means if my routers ever kick the bucket I'll need to replace them with a contemporary unit. Could be worse, I guess. It was ever thus. Even with the Bailey-pattern planes after about 60 years. I think the real news here is Stanley Black and Decker, the parent since 2010, could not maintain the Porter Cable brand identity, and that is lamentable.

Maybe the in-stock PCs will go on deep sale?
    My question is do they WANT to maintain the Porter Cable brand identity? I just went on Amazon and looked at Porter Cable and DeWalt routers. Porter Cable was mostly offered by 3rd party sellers and the prices were 2X or 3X what I'd expect. Plenty of DeWalt routers for reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    My question is do they WANT to maintain the Porter Cable brand identity?
    I don't think so. They've clearly started to position it as one of their budget brands.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

If true, very sad

I purchased my first router in the 1980s, a made-in-Japan Hitachi plunge model - I think it was TR-12 (or similar).

My first "light router" was made-in-US model 690 also in the past millennium. It was the smallest router I found that could handle both 1/4" as well 1/2" bits. This one is yet in my workshop although as "technical reserve" as it is not used any more replaced by a small Makita and a couple of bigger Bosch. It is very well constructed and the single maintenance required was the protection rubber sleeve protecting the power cable in the router body. I couldn´t find a such sleeve from PC, I used one from DeWalt and it fitted as the OEM stuff.

I also have a made-in-US Porter Cable "heavy duty" drill, also from past century, I eventually use.

I do not know about the newer tools from them manufactured outside the US but I can state the ones I have present great quality and reliability, so I am sorry if that is true. We will lost a very good router manufacturer option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Heard a rumor that was confirmed , but not verified that SBD has pulled the plug on Porter Cable routers. Stock is low or out at many retailers, and some sites have removed the brand’s routers altogether.

I’ve got a query into SBD, but don’t expect to hear anything meaningful , or for months.

If anyone has any knowledge, feel free to share.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Having so many brand names for similar products has got to be a real juggling act for SBD at this point...'kinda like what General Motors has faced over the years. If it is true that they are taking down the PC brand, it's likely because they have too much on the plate to financially justify keeping it around. And given they took on Craftsman...

Here are all their brands currently...PC is still listed

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.co...ses/our-brands
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    If that’s true, it might be time to purchase a back-up 7518 for my router table. That is one I wouldn’t want to be without.
    Right now it's selling for $680 on amazon (and on the PC web site,) so it's probably time to look at other brands, maybe the bigger Makita motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Right now it's selling for $680 on amazon (and on the PC web site,) so it's probably time to look at other brands, maybe the bigger Makita motor.
    I believe that Milwaukee has a "direct replacement" router motor relative to fit in lifts, etc., if it's still in their line.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Having so many brand names for similar products has got to be a real juggling act for SBD at this point...'kinda like what General Motors has faced over the years. If it is true that they are taking down the PC brand, it's likely because they have too much on the plate to financially justify keeping it around. And given they took on Craftsman...

Here are all their brands currently...PC is still listed

https://www.stanleyblackanddecker.co...ses/our-brands

I didn't hear the brand was going away, only the routers. And based on the corp. propaganda this would seem correct. If you try an buy one on their website's links to vendors , ALL are unavailable.

Makes sense. Dave. Sorry if I misinterpreted.
    --

Blog Entries
    IIRC the PC 7518 motor diameter is 4.2" and the Milwaukee 5625 is 4.14". Some laminate, plastic or brass sheet, even foil tape, as a shim and you would be good if it comes to that. My lifts are made for the 5625's so they drop right in. This is why I get that you might want the same motor (I have spare 5625's) so I would be quick like a bunny on the used sites before the prices shoot up for these 'vintage' or 'hard to get' units. Good luck.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

2020 is the gift that keeps on giving. My PC routers range from late 1940 to early 90s. If I was 20 years younger I'd figure out a contingency plan but at 71, I think I can live with whatever happens. FWIW, my have a Bosch Colt that has been a fine product and a Ridgid 18v router that seems okay but it hasn't had a major workout (and likely never will).

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    IIRC the PC 7518 motor diameter is 4.2" and the Milwaukee 5625 is 4.14". Some laminate, plastic or brass sheet, even foil tape, as a shim and you would be good if it comes to that. My lifts are made for the 5625's so they drop right in. This is why I get that you might want the same motor (I have spare 5625's) so I would be quick like a bunny on the used sites before the prices shoot up for these 'vintage' or 'hard to get' units. Good luck.
    The Milwaukee and PC diameters are different as posted above. Below is one of the first PRLV2 router lifts (re-branded for Woodcraft as "Pinnacle" ) and I had to use plastic shim stock on the PC7518 mount for my Milwaukee 5625 motor. About a year after that, Woodpeckers introduced the slightly smaller diameter mount for the Milwaukee as an option.

M 5625 in PC mount w shims.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 09-20-2020 at 1:00 PM.
    Dick Mahany.