Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porter Cable routers R.I.P ?

There’s a vote in favor of an adjustable lift, like the JessEm/Incra.

I wonder how many 690's (and various permutations) have been sold over the years?

It's been a remarkable run.

It's kind of like Bosch. When they went to their newer MRC23 line of routers they took themselves out of the router lift market. Moving the trigger to the grip has it's advantages but the contact strip on the side of the router head wasn't thought out.

I'm sure on paper this move makes sense but it doesn't take in account the people who like to stick with a brand they had good luck with. My first (and still have) PC tool was a ROS. It's basically a 4 1/2" grinder with a random orbital head on it. I've had it for at least 3 decades and it's sanded everything from body filler to wood. The only issue I've had is that the foam pad rotted away. It was easy to find a replacement. If I needed to buy a router for a lift it would be at the top of my list. Clearly no longer the case. But routers are one of those things that seam to multiply in my shop. My luck with DeWalt has been mixed so I most likely would look at Milwaukee as my next choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    If that’s true, it might be time to purchase a back-up 7518 for my router table. That is one I wouldn’t want to be without.
    Doesn't this assume that all the routers in the line will go away? I would think the ones that hit a specific market space might be rebranded. I know that some of the Dewalt routers were recolored Elu's. It seems the 7518 might be one that gets moved over to another brand. And aren't some of there tool models sold in both P-C and Dewalt livery?

John

The 7518/9 would seem to fill a hole in the DeWalt lineup. So maybe.

The only yellow and grey/black tools I can think are remotely similar are the palm router.

A reputable retailer I bought a lift from about a month ago told me the same when I was asking about larger routers. They carried PC and this guy seemed to be in the know on things.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Doesn't this assume that all the routers in the line will go away? I would think the ones that hit a specific market space might be rebranded. I know that some of the Dewalt routers were recolored Elu's. It seems the 7518 might be one that gets moved over to another brand. And aren't some of there tool models sold in both P-C and Dewalt livery?

John
    I certainly hope so. Dewalt was smart enough to realize the Elu was a great plunge router and became the DW621, which is my favorite/go-to plunge. Hopefully, they get it with the 7518, as well.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Porter-Cable's 89X routers haven't been as popular as their 690 line. I have a fixed/plunge base 89X and it feels kind of awkward and top heavy. The dust collecting handle helps but it's still pretty tall. Then they had a router with significant switch/variable speed issues - 7529 or something like that? So their recent routers have not been best of breed. Plus Black & Decker bought Porter-Cable, Porter-Cable didn't buy DeWalt. Sometimes it seems like that matters as to which name survives.

have three 75182 and one plunge one and two laminate trimmers. Three 75182 got used hard for many years and they still work well. My original cheap router had the on and off switch in the handle which I liked better but the 75182's got left on for hours as they were used rather than on and off. No complaints. I taped all the speed adjusters in place, those ones were all run at the highest RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Porter-Cable's 89X routers haven't been as popular as their 690 line. I have a fixed/plunge base 89X and it feels kind of awkward and top heavy. The dust collecting handle helps but it's still pretty tall. Then they had a router with significant switch/variable speed issues - 7529 or something like that? So their recent routers have not been best of breed. Plus Black & Decker bought Porter-Cable, Porter-Cable didn't buy DeWalt. Sometimes it seems like that matters as to which name survives.

The late-model 7518s have had the variable-speed switch issue. It may have been fixed by now but the endless negative recent reviews of the 7518 made me pass on it for my router table. I went with the Bosch 1617.

I have a PC 890 that I bought about 10 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. It's still my go-to handheld router if I can't use my little palm router for a task.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    The late-model 7518s have had the variable-speed switch issue. It may have been fixed by now but the endless negative recent reviews of the 7518 made me pass on it for my router table. I went with the Bosch 1617.

I have a PC 890 that I bought about 10 years ago and have been pretty happy with it. It's still my go-to handheld router if I can't use my little palm router for a task.
    I'm happy with the 89X as well but if I were using it on a dovetail jig or something like that I think it'd be tipsy/top heavy. The squattier routers would be better there. OTOH I haven't heard of any variable speed issues with the 89X routers.

For years the PC 690 was my go to medium router. I still have at least three of them, two set up for my dovetail jig and one old D handle model. When they got hard to find I tried a DW 616 and I've been very happy with it. Same form factor, easier to adjust, and so far durable and problem free.

BTW, the smaller DWP611trim router is great, too. I use it all the time.

Years ago when looking for a router I had a hard time trying to decide between the PC vs DeWalt kit.
    PC because it was the standard in routers back then. DeWalt because that is what I wanted.
    I picked the DeWalt and like it a lot. Never regretted buying it.
    https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618B...0809264&sr=8-6
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 09-22-2020 at 5:24 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It seems that Emglo compressors are the only brand that has survived the Dewalt/Black and Decker onslaught. They came back rebranded as "jenny" but same great stuff. It makes me sad that in this day and age it has become normal to use a corporate takeover of your biggest competitors to gain market share. Whatever happened to just making a better product ? I own at least 4 PC 690 routers and really like them. Tough ,durable, and strong motors with a low center of gravity, what's not to like?
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 09-22-2020 at 6:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    It seems that Emglo compressors are the only brand that has survived the Dewalt/Black and Decker onslaught. They came back rebranded as "jenny" but same great stuff. It makes me sad that in this day and age it has become normal to use a corporate takeover of your biggest competitors to gain market share. Whatever happened to just making a better product ? I own at least 4 PC 690 routers and really like them. Tough ,durable, and strong motors with a low center of gravity, what's not to like?
    The thing I didn't like about the 690 routers that I used was no soft start. You had to make sure you had a good hold on them when you switched them on.

I think perhaps later 690's had soft start but I'm not sure.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.