Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matching yellowing lacquer on an old cabinet

Thanks Jim, would a coat of Zinsser sanding sealer do the trick? I plan to topcoat with GF Enduro.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Thanks Jim, would a coat of Zinsser sanding sealer do the trick? I plan to topcoat with GF Enduro.
    The SealCoat is wax-free and is often used as a barrier coat to deal with things like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's good news Scott. A coat of SealCoat may give you the red tint you need now, and also supply the barrier coat for the WB topcoats. If SealCoat alone doesn't move the color enough then a few drops of Transtint Reddish Brown or Bright Red added to it would be what I'd look at.

John

What HVLP spray tip is best for shellac? I have a Fuji with the 1.5 & 1.8 tips....I'm thinking I need to go smaller.

I checked the Zinsser shellac TDS...there is no mention of spraying under "Application". It only mentions brushing and wiping...interesting.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 09-23-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

You might get by with the 1.5 if you dial it down but something around 1.0 would be better with a pressure cup system like you have. I used a 1.4 mm in my gravity feed HVLP gun w/o problems, and now use a 1.0 with my pressure assisted gun. FYI, almost nothing sprays more easily than Sealcoat.

John