Thread: Easy retractable tool caddie for lathe.

Easy retractable tool caddie for lathe.

I’m a rookie turner, with my first lathe. I don’t have much room in the shop so everything is mobile. I got tired of misplacing or dropping my most frequently used turning tools so I built this retractable tool holder/caddie. It nothing but two pieces of wood in an “L” shape with 1.25 inch holes in it. All mounted on a full extension drawer slide that is screwed to the side of the lathe cart. Really happy with the result. When I’m turning, it stays fully extended for quick and easy access. When done, it gets pushed back, out of the way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a handy solution to the problem. Expect you will be considering making the rack wider as you add some more tools or for drive and live centers. Never enough space for the next tool that one needs.

Nice idea! My PM is on it's own stand and so I can't use the idea exactly like that, but my perennial todo list has a roll-around cabinet to hold my turning stuff both to keep it handy while turning and to store it when not in use. Right now, I end up putting stuff on every flat surface nearby, which means I always have to move it again if I need to use one of those flat surfaces. Putting this on the side of the cabinet might work really well. I had been thinking of just set of angled compartments on the side of the case.

Best,

Dave