Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Making a Kitchen Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Ken, I'm curious about the apparent size. Seems rather tall for a standard 16 gallon kitchen trash bag. Nice work. I love Alder

Curt,

Thanks, the Alder is really nice to work. It is a little soft and dents easily but for this application a few dents add to its authenticity .

It has a removable false bottom that is about 300mm from the floor, a 16 gal bag works very well. What I like about the height is no need to bend over to use.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 09-28-2020 at 4:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hi Ken,

Have been following and enjoying. Also curious about the size and what you'll use for liners. And the nails (sorry if I missed the details on the nails)...

C
    Chris,

Liners are standard size 16 gal kitchen trash bags from, where else, Costco.

The nails are rose head cut nails. I'll take a photo of one and post it the next update, I expect one or two more posts before the build is finished.

ken

Nicely done. Your trash must be more deserving than mine that only gets stainless for its final trip.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Nicely done. Your trash must be more deserving than mine that only gets stainless for its final trip.

Thanks James, I'm in the short rows. One more day will allow me to finish but the day job intrudes,

kn

Top trim is finished, only the lid left to do.

kitchenTrashWithTopTrim.jpg

Day job may intrude tomorrow but a few more hours in the shop and this sucker is finished. BTW the original is in the background.

ken

The kitchen trash can is finished and holding trash:

kitchenTrashFinished.jpg

ken

Very nice, Ken. Love the finish. Looks great with the kitchen table.

Blog Entries
    Well done, practical project that will get used every day – congratulations! You get to play with wood in the shop and The boss is happy with the final project – I call that a win-win!

Good results Ken. Simple, clean lines, practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Well done, practical project that will get used every day – congratulations! You get to play with wood in the shop and The boss is happy with the final project – I call that a win-win!
    Thanks Mike,

Back in the butt scratching stage of the build I was going back and forth between joints and each had its "yes but". Then I remembered I had several large bags of rose head cut nails that had been on a tool room shelf forever. For something like this, butt joints reinforced with cut nails would be perfect, quick, easy, strong, and the rose head nails could add a decorative touch. Keep it from being too plain and IKEA looking.

Anyway, that's where I ended up. I can't remember the last time other than shop fixtures that I used a butt joint or even nails of any kind. Would I do it again? In a heart beat, it was a fun, no stress build and frankly the cut nails with the hot hide glue butt joints are much stronger than I expected. I'd have to run over it with the motorhome to break the joint and for now I kinda like the look of the nails. You can't see it in the photo but the pull is attached with two nails as well.

Ms Bubba doesn't know about it yet (she comes home from Oregon mid month), it will be interesting to see her reaction. I've kept the old trash can in the shop just in case, after all these years I've never figured her out. Guess that's what keeps life interesting.

BTW, I may have to take the truck to pick MsBubba up in Oregon, the mirror that shook off coming down I-5 on the last trip still hasn't been replaced, I'm not sure what the hold up is but I'll bet it will be blamed on the virus.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Very nice, Ken. Love the finish. Looks great with the kitchen table.
    Thanks Phil,

When I started thinking about replacing the old trash can my thought was to use Alder to match the base of the table. That plus Alder is really cheap and easy to work. With the Alder softness, the coming dents from use will just add to the character of the can , that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Good results Ken. Simple, clean lines, practical.
    Thanks Mark. It still needs to pass the MsBubba test.

ken