Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a Kitchen Trash Can

Not much to see but I've started gluing and nailing the sides. The side with the nails has to be cleaned up prior to nailing. The short sides, with the glue over run will be cleaned up once the glue up is completed.

kitchenTrashCanGlueUp.jpg

This will go a little slowly because I want to let the glue set on each butt joint before going to the next.

ken

It's probably unwise to hijack this thread, but I've now read through the link about Steve Voigt's planes. These are new to me. How in the world does he make those mortises?

The planes look like works of art. I wonder if they perform better than laminated "Krenov" style planes. I see that Voigt moved away from those to focus on mortising out a single-block. But it's not clear what he wasn't satisfied with in the Krenov style. Maybe for him it was the challenge of executing that exquisite mortise/escapement that he knew few makers could master, whereas the Krenov plane is more of an Everyman project? Or maybe the full-depth ledges on the sides hold the wedge/iron/chipbreaker assembly more securely than Krenov's cross pin? Maybe both?

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to the "Steve plane."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    It's probably unwise to hijack this thread, but I've now read through the link about Steve Voigt's planes. These are new to me. How in the world does he make those mortises?

The planes look like works of art. I wonder if they perform better than laminated "Krenov" style planes. I see that Voigt moved away from those to focus on mortising out a single-block. But it's not clear what he wasn't satisfied with in the Krenov style. Maybe for him it was the challenge of executing that exquisite mortise/escapement that he knew few makers could master, whereas the Krenov plane is more of an Everyman project? Or maybe the full-depth ledges on the sides hold the wedge/iron/chipbreaker assembly more securely than Krenov's cross pin? Maybe both?

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to the "Steve plane."
    Bob,

I have both types of planes, the beauty of the Krenov style plane is it is quick and easy to make and works surprisingly well but in my experience works better as a small plane vs. a larger plane like a Jack or Try. Small or large a well made Mortise/escapement type plane works better, is easier to adjust and holds the adjustment. Are they worth the money, as with most things it depends, mostly on how much you like your money. But like your money or not, I would hate to go back to swinging a Stanley #8 or even worse a LN #8 around for a day.

Glad to help,

ken

At the first of the thread I posted that I would be using hot hide glue along with the nails. I was lucky in a way this morning to find my hot hide glue had spoiled. This gave me time to think about the glue and I realized that as much as I enjoy working with hot hide glue it was not the best glue to use.

Liquid hide glue has a much longer open time vs. hot hide glue plus liquid will stay slightly flexible where hot very quickly becomes almost glass like. With the crude joints, the need to adjust as the nails are installed and the expected adjustment to get every thing close to square, the longer open time becomes important. The only problem was my bottle of liquid hide glue was too old to use requiring a trip to the woodstore for a new bottle. Be careful when buying, the first bottle I picked up expires Jan 2021, always look for the date. BTW, one of the reasons my bottle was old and I needed another was most of the time I make my own liquid hide glue. the reason for the store bought was time.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Thanks for keeping me current, guys. You caught me not paying attention to the posts of the day. To quote a Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks album title, I was Asleep at the Switch and Comin' Right At Ya.

Thanks for the link. I am keeping it open and I'm looking forward to poring over it later today.
    "Barstool boogie" – Dan Hicks classic!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bob,

I have both types of planes, the beauty of the Krenov style plane is it is quick and easy to make and works surprisingly well but in my experience works better as a small plane vs. a larger plane like a Jack or Try. Small or large a well made Mortise/escapement type plane works better, is easier to adjust and holds the adjustment. Are they worth the money, as with most things it depends, mostly on how much you like your money. But like your money or not, I would hate to go back to swinging a Stanley #8 or even worse a LN #8 around for a day.

Glad to help,

ken
    +1 Steve Voigt planes are fantastic - light, easy to use and work perfectly! I can't really understand why his planes work so well – the wedge mortise, escapement etc. are perfectly made in the shavings shoot straight out the top. For me classic example of "whole being greater than the sum of the parts/synergy" or something like that.

Cheers, Mike
    Last edited by Mike Allen1010; 09-23-2020 at 3:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ken, glad to see you are enjoying the luxury of having both bench is near at hand. Must be nice or at least room for an apprentice.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with the trash cans – sounds like great way to create a handmade, wooden version of utilitarian household item you use every day. I think there's a Japanese word for the "simple beauty of utilitarian household objects" but damn if I can remember what it is.

I'm concerned to hear about your six-day workweek – don't want to see any backsliding on that retirement glide path!

Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    +1 Steve Voigt planes are fantastic - light, easy to use and work perfectly! I can't really understand why his planes work so well – the wedge mortise, escapement etc. are perfectly made in the shavings shoot straight out the top. For me classic example of "whole being greater than the sum of the parts/synergy" or something like that.

Cheers, Mike
    Mike

I get a huge grin every time I use one.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Ken, glad to see you are enjoying the luxury of having both bench is near at hand. Must be nice or at least room for an apprentice.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with the trash cans – sounds like great way to create a handmade, wooden version of utilitarian household item you use every day. I think there's a Japanese word for the "simple beauty of utilitarian household objects" but damn if I can remember what it is.

I'm concerned to hear about your six-day workweek – don't want to see any backsliding on that retirement glide path!

Cheers, Mike
    Mike,

Thanks, the two benches set the way they are is very handy. No backsliding, in fact we have three months of "Camp Hosting" for the Oregon State Parks System booked starting in August. Maybe by then it will be safe to visit.

I had a long reply dealing with vernacular, folk, outsider art, or whatever you want to call it furniture. which is something I've been thinking about for some time. I deleted it because it didn't really say what I wanted to say and could have been easily misunderstood. Bottom line, I love seeing what you, Derek, and Mark make but my work tends to the vernacular. There is a place for both and frankly I love looking and studying both.

BTW, back in the day, when I was doing my post baccalaureate, black T-shirt wearing, art babel speaking, studio art studies, I was always drawn to vernacular art, it had a life that was seldom found in academic art. I'm still pretty much wearing that black T-shirt and someday I'll get that post finished.

ken

Wait, studio art studies?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Wait, studio art studies?
    Mike,

Art babel with a West Texas accent . I know the Art Opening cheese eaters well. BTW, it was great fun.

ken

Mike,

Art babel with a West Texas accent . I know the Art Opening cheese eaters well. BTW, it was great fun.

ken
    Ken,

While I work as an engineer, I actually have way too many years of fine arts education. Unfortunately, not much to do with it here.. other than teach (I decided I hated that in the first semester of grad school).

I'll never knock any kind of art studies (opening night cheese and beer mmmmm)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Ken,

While I work as an engineer, I actually have way too many years of fine arts education. Unfortunately, not much to do with it here.. other than teach (I decided I hated that in the first semester of grad school).

I'll never knock any kind of art studies (opening night cheese and beer mmmmm)
    Mike,

Too funny, While I've spent most of my adult life instructing, even when I was flying the line I was teaching my first officers how to be a PIC. Funny to have this conversation, one of my clients this week was many years ago one of my best first officers. Of course he is here as a PIC. How this is relevant is training a pilot is pretty easy you have certain standards and they can either meet those standards or not. You can show them technique to help and work on their SOP's but either they can do the job or not. With art instruction about the best you can do is show some of the process, be honest and tell them it is derivative crap if it is and hopefully recognize good work if you see it. It has to be soul destroying.

ken

Making slow progress on the trash can. Between the day job and Tucson Summer not much is done on any day. I have cleaned up the sides and trimmed the top.

kitchenTrashTop.jpg

Next up are the two trim pieces. The bottom trim will be attached and form the foot of the trash can. The top trim will be free floating, removable, and hold the trash sack in place. It will also have a lid. The biggest holdup is getting to the wood needed to make the trim. With my usual brilliance and forethought, when I cleaned up the shop after moving the benches I put the Alder on the bottom of the stack and piled the rest of the loose wood on top. Oh well I need the exercise.

ken

Mike,

Thanks, the two benches set the way they are is very handy. No backsliding, in fact we have three months of "Camp Hosting" for the Oregon State Parks System booked starting in August. Maybe by then it will be safe to visit.

I had a long reply dealing with vernacular, folk, outsider art, or whatever you want to call it furniture. which is something I've been thinking about for some time. I deleted it because it didn't really say what I wanted to say and could have been easily misunderstood. Bottom line, I love seeing what you, Derek, and Mark make but my work tends to the vernacular. There is a place for both and frankly I love looking and studying both.

BTW, back in the day, when I was doing my post baccalaureate, black T-shirt wearing, art babel speaking, studio art studies, I was always drawn to vernacular art, it had a life that was seldom found in academic art. I'm still pretty much wearing that black T-shirt and someday I'll get that post finished.

ken
    Ken if you don't mind asking what part of Oregon? Am I going to see a camp host with a Moravian next summer on one of our camping trips?