Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making a Kitchen Trash Can

Making a Kitchen Trash Can

I finally finished moving the shop around, fiddling with the Fillister planes, and every other excuse I could find to delay starting on the kitchen trash cans.

I'm sizing the panels this morning, once all four are sized they will be joined with a simple butt joint, hot hide glue and nails.

kitchenTrashCanPrep.jpg

I know broken record but every time I use Steve's Try plane I break into a huge grin when wood first meets wood.

The new shop arrangement is really nice, it is good to have both benches placed where they can be worked at the same time by just turning around.

Shop is getting hot. I'm sweating and already smell like a goat, time to take a break.

ken

So what kind of Moravian bench is a “trash can”?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    So what kind of Moravian bench is a “trash can”?
    Tony,

Too funny, I guess that is why I found every excuse to delay the start because I couldn't find a way to use wedged mortises .

ken

I tend to enjoy three squaring a panel (two edges and one face), then burn a few electrons to square up the opposite face. You’re tempting me bad on a Steve plane. I just knew when you posted you were fiddling with the fillisters, it was a bit of procrastination. And why not, it’s fun.

Go all bench on this trash can. At least add a screw feature to the top and make it into a compactor.

ECD0A204-F5FA-4C3C-B020-6754E5BDE779.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I tend to enjoy three squaring a panel (two edges and one face), then burn a few electrons to square up the opposite face. You’re tempting me bad on a Steve plane. I just knew when you posted you were fiddling with the fillisters, it was a bit of procrastination. And why not, it’s fun.

Go all bench on this trash can. At least add a screw feature to the top and make it into a compactor.

Phil,

I like the way you think.

Go ahead and give Steve a shout, it's only money and the first use will make you forget the note. I have to admit I look for excuses to pull that sucker out and put it to work.

ken

Inside joke: Steve who?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Ken, you're talking about Steve Voigt, aren't you?
    Bob, assuming I'm correct, here's a LINK to a good blog post on Steve.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-20-2020 at 5:20 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Bob,

Sorry, it was not meant to be an inside joke. Frederick is correct, we were posting about a Steve Voigt made wood stock plane. I felt comfortable referring to just "Steve" because I had posted several times in the last couple of weeks about my Steve Voigt Try plane and Phil had called it a "Steve plane". Again, sorry for any confusion.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ken, you're talking about Steve Voigt, aren't you?
    Bob, assuming I'm correct, here's a LINK to a good blog post on Steve.
    Frederick,

Yes, thanks for clearing up the confusion for Bob.

ken

Thanks for keeping me current, guys. You caught me not paying attention to the posts of the day. To quote a Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks album title, I was Asleep at the Switch and Comin' Right At Ya.

Thanks for the link. I am keeping it open and I'm looking forward to poring over it later today.

In spite of the heat progress on the kitchen trash can is being made. The sides are cut to size and are ready to be glued and nailed together.

kitchenTrashCanBox.jpg

I may take a break, I had forgotten to turn the glue pot on for a couple of days and the glue was spoiled. I have new glue working but it needs to spend a little time hydrating before heating and use. I may use some "yellow" glue if I get impatient or the other option is some liquid hide glue. I'll have to test my bottle, it has been awhile since the last use.

Once the box is made all that is left are the upper and lower trim, lid, and a internal step to hold the bottom of the trash bag. The kitchen trash can should be a two day job that I expect will end up taking close to two weeks. My excuse is it is really hot in the shop and I have a 6 day schedule for my day job next week.

MsBubba should be happy with it, she likes knots .

ken

Making some progress Ken...it looks like your sides are made up of two edge jointed boards, are they rub joints? And what is that "square" clamp you are using at the bottom right of the picture.?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Making some progress Ken...it looks like your sides are made up of two edge jointed boards, are they rub joints? And what is that "square" clamp you are using at the bottom right of the picture.?
    Mark,

Yes to the rub joints. I'm not sure who makes the clamp or what they are called, they have been in the shop forever and seldom used but handy for this project. They work kinda like vise grips except designed to hold corners. I don't do a lot of nailed butt joints which the clamps are great for, wish I had a couple more.

ken

Ken interested to see what the end result looks like. I've been thinking of making one for awhile now, but can't come up with any better design then plain sides with a lid

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Ken interested to see what the end result looks like. I've been thinking of making one for awhile now, but can't come up with any better design then plain sides with a lid
    Michael,

You have just described this one only it will have trim around both the top and bottom and rose head cut nails down four sides. In is almost copy of one MsBubba had before we met. The reason for the build is the old one was so grotty we tried to paint it and the paint job sucked. It is easier to build new than to try to recover from a bad painting. When finished there will be three units, the can itself, a top piece (trim) that is removable and holds the trash sack in place, and a lid. Pretty simple but also clever.

ken