Thread: Proscale Planer Depth for Minimax CU300

Proscale Planer Depth for Minimax CU300

I purchased a Proscale to use as a planer depth gauge for my CU300. Trying to figure out the best place to install it. Ideal place is to have everything (encoder and the separate readout) on the infeed side of the planer, but it gets pretty crowded with other controls in the same area.

If you have this on your CU300, I would appreciate some install pictures.

Whatever the details of the "where", it needs to be visible from where you move the table up and down. For my J/P, that's at the planer infeed where the manual scale is. I don't recall the location configuration on the CU300 for that function.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I installed the Proscale digital scale this weekend. Here are some pictures in case it helps someone in the future. I will likely lower the readout a bit more in the future. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with it. Not sure why pictures are sideways, but hopefully still helpful.

1F37E361-06A9-4380-A939-6F8DFD1C10CB.jpg5C4D4CD5-F860-4E4C-B237-899799A3B244.jpg797164CA-0398-4120-856A-9A68A1EB56D5.jpg

Thanks for the photos. It looks like a very nice setup. Which model did you install? I’m expecting my FS-30 to arrive this week and am considering adding something similar once I get things settled in.

Bravo on the Proscale purchase.
    They are very good people to work with and if you call Mike at Proscale he might have some ideas or a bracket for your install.
    I was surprised when I told him I had a Super Cool Tools saw fence and he said that he had a bracket for that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Thanks for the photos. It looks like a very nice setup. Which model did you install? I’m expecting my FS-30 to arrive this week and am considering adding something similar once I get things settled in.
    It is Proscale 190-10. Normally $399, but they have been running a $100 discount for sometime.

I used the standard bracket that came in the package. Had no idea that they may have special brackets.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 09-28-2020 at 9:32 AM.

I like that, too, Frank. I had an older DRO on my J/P awhile back, but for whatever reason, it ate batteries, and constantly needed attention. I don't remember the brand. I may have to look into what you installed because a digital display is a lot easier on the eyes these days!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    It is Proscale 190-10. Normally $399, but they have been running a $100 discount for sometime.

I used the standard bracket that came in the package. Had no idea that they may have special brackets.
    Thanks! I’ll take a look into that. I suspect the price will be ugly by the time I consider shipping and convert to Canadian dollars but it is something I’ll keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I like that, too, Frank. I had an older DRO on my J/P awhile back, but for whatever reason, it ate batteries, and constantly needed attention. I don't remember the brand. I may have to look into what you installed because a digital display is a lot easier on the eyes these days!
    I have not used it yet, but it seems to be high quality. I went with this because of higher capacity battery (CR123) and higher resolution compared to Wixey, etc. I have some low cost digital calipers that eat batteries, others that don’t. My experience with them has been very inconsistent. So, decided to go with something that has a good track record. While I agree that wood moves, whenever it comes to machine setup, I try to minimize sources of error and try to get as much repeatability as I can within reason. Will see how this turns out :-)

Those are the same batteries many of the devices in our home security system uses...they do last a long time.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
    I have not used it yet, but it seems to be high quality. I went with this because of higher capacity battery (CR123) and higher resolution compared to Wixey, etc. I have some low cost digital calipers that eat batteries, others that don’t. My experience with them has been very inconsistent. So, decided to go with something that has a good track record. While I agree that wood moves, whenever it comes to machine setup, I try to minimize sources of error and try to get as much repeatability as I can within reason. Will see how this turns out :-)

I had one of the original Proscales, sold it recently but used and abused for 20+ years and still worked no problems, never ate batteries. The company is great too they offered to upgrade me at a huge discount but ended up not needing it, that said If I was to ever need another DRO I would buy a no contact Mag strip unit like a Fiami so you don't have to deal with an encoder rail.
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 09-29-2020 at 10:18 AM.

In machine shops it is very common for the dro readout to be located up at eye level on a support arm. Often that arm has swing joints etc. In a shop the dro does a lot more then show a number so the buttons are often being pusbhed. I do not think the ones designed for saws and planers do any math at all. Do any of them calculate dado spacing for example or do you have to come up with the offset numbers yourself. Do they calculate the center of a board or divide it into three equal widths?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-29-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    In machine shops it is very common for the dro readout to be located up at eye level on a support arm. Often that arm has swing joints etc. In a shop the dro does a lot more then show a number so the buttons are often being pusbhed. I do not think the ones designed for saws and planers do any math at all. Do any of them calculate dado spacing for example or do you have to come up with the offset numbers yourself. Do they calculate the center of a board or divide it into three equal widths?
    Bill D
    That would require plc control which these do not have, can switch between units and have abs so if for example you wanted to make increments of 10.2 mm with first cut at 100mm you can zero it, move it 10.2, zero then 10.2.... then revert back to the measurement where ever the fence/table is at.

I would personally mount it down at about knee height, since you will have to be kneeling to crank the table up and down, anyhow. Looking good, Frank!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Looks good! I’ve been eyeing this same model for my old SCM S50 planer, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
    Still waters run deep.