Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting measurement conversion idea from "another place"...

Interesting measurement conversion idea from "another place"...

While I was browsing the Festool forums this morning as part of my "forum crawl", I noted a thread that had a very interesting idea relative to converting measurements from one system to another. It's a necessary evil sometimes because not all of us use the same measurement system, either by preference or because of what's common where we happen to live and work.

I usually use a browser on my CNC computer or my "shop Mac" laptop to handle this since I have one system I prefer but sometimes have clients who prefer/require another. The idea in that thread? "{Alexa/Siri}, what is 350mm in inches?" While you can certainly use a smartphone for this, theres's a "tool" buying opportunity here for those who have Internet access in the shop...one of the inexpensive "digital assistants" in the system you prefer. IE...someone to talk to while you work that simply answers your questions without telling boring stories.

I just might have to try this out.

Of course, this could lead to, "{Alexa/Siri}, how much is a {insert tool name here} and does it have free shipping?" while you're working on your project or waiting for glue to dry. You know...thinking time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Too dangerous

That idea looks me too dangerous for your wallet.

Take care! 🤔
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post

Take care! ��
    Amen Brother Osvaldo!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Not exactly sure what it is but you can buy an electronic wallet.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post

Take care! 樂
    The device is cheap. The ability to shop with it, on the other hand...LOL
    --

Asking Alexa to do conversions is a good idea. I have an echo dot in the shop and usually just use it to stream music. But the wife can "drop in on the workshop" when she needs something so it works as an intercom too. Good/bad thing is, if I'm doing something noisy, I won't hear her....which is good, because it doesn't startle me, but bad because I can't hear the....oh, never mind.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

That sounds like a nice setup for you and SWMBO, Paul. We pretty much text constantly when communication is necessary. That said, being able to just use a voice interface to ask questions could be a nice way to handle things and that's why I'm interested. I've been using CarPlay for so long now that I've grown pretty used to using my voice for texting anyway, so asking Alexa or Siri for a measurement conversion is a reasonable next step.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... asking Alexa or Siri for a measurement conversion is a reasonable next step.
    We've got a pretty big initiative at my day job to create "the hospital of the future." One of the core concepts in that is that your hospital room will be interactive, with voice a la Siri or Alexa, as a primary means for the patient to interact with the room.

Nurses and patients in our focus groups love the idea. It creeps me out. I am not ready for the world I'm helping build.

I ask Siri for conversions all the time, especially when I’m trying to get a precise dado fit. My dado stack from Felder is metric, and plywood is ... who knows what these days. I always have my phone in the shop in case of emergency, but as of yet, no computer or WiFi.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I just remember an inch is 25.4mm. If I have to, I use my phone. I have a tablet with Alexa but I never use it. My daughter uses it constantly, however.

I have an Echo Show in both my workshop and finishing room.

And sad to say, I never thought of asking it for conversions.
    Doh!!!

I just use mine for music, podcasts, time, and an intercom.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    We've got a pretty big initiative at my day job to create "the hospital of the future." One of the core concepts in that is that your hospital room will be interactive, with voice a la Siri or Alexa, as a primary means for the patient to interact with the room.

Nurses and patients in our focus groups love the idea. It creeps me out. I am not ready for the world I'm helping build.
    Being a cardiac anesthesiologist, and having to deal with quirks and glitches of high-tech equipment on a daily basis, that creeps me out too. And I would certainly not be characterized as anti technology. Sigh...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

[paranoia]Do you want everything you say or that someone says to you stored on Amazon or Google's servers?[/paranoia]

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    [paranoia]Do you want everything you say or that someone says to you stored on Amazon or Google's servers?[/paranoia]
    Actually, if you believe what Amazon and Apple say, it only stores on a server what you say after "Alexa" and "Siri", not normal conversation. And as a global bandwidth issue, I believe that, because the sheer bandwidth required and storage required to store 24/7 conversations for everyone who owns an Echo or iPhone is absurdly large.

Of course, Amazon Web Services is the world's leader in storage, with massive storage, so ...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Honestly...not even going to bother to worry about it. I'm boring. If "they" are that interested in what dimensions I'm wanting to convert? More power to them...

But I do understand you mean in the broader context and again, not even on my radar of things I'm concerned with right now.
    --