Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - Power Switch For My Bandsaw

If it's working being straight wired then the switch that came with the saw was connected to the contactor, not the motor. In that case a switch like that Bighorn one will work just fine. If you don't mind doing a little extra work you could set up a safety switch or two. If you have a foot brake adding a switch to it is real nice. When finished cutting something I can just tap on the brake with my foot and it'll shut off the saw. When both hands are busy holding stuff it's very handy. Also if you can add a switch to the lever used to release tension you would be able to start it until you moved it into the tension position. Just something to think about.

Since it works with a plug in cord my worry about a starter circuit was unfounded. Any starter will be fine as long as it can handle the amps. On European machines ground is often tan or yellow not green like North American stuff.
    Bil lD

The color code for European single phase wiring is:

Line: Brown
    Neutral: Blue
    Ground: Green and Yellow stripes (also called Earth or Protective Earth)

When the switch for my Laguna LT-18 died last winter I had a great experience with https://www.plcindustries.com/app/. I contacted them on a weekend and received an email back in about ten minutes. They asked if they could call me to make sure that I ordered the correct part. Monday morning I received the tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I have a Laguna 16 bandsaw that I purchased new in 1999. The switch has stopped working for the on/off part of it. The power to the bandsaw is always ON and the only way to turn it on/off is via the power cable at the wall outlet. I took it all apart and found that the broken part is a 220V contactor. I was wondering if any of you may know where I can get a replacement contactor.

Omron - J7K-AMA-10 is the part number for the contactor.

I am finding everything BUT this specific contactor part.
    Attachment 441426

Well, the good news?
    I now have a working bandsaw with a brand new switch. Here's the proof.
    new_bandsaw_switch1.jpg

new_bandsaw_switch2.jpg
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Is that the one you found on Amazon Dennis? Regardless, I am glad your bandsaw is functional again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes it is! I bought the heavy duty one rated for up to 28 Amps. It works way better than the old switch ever did. I'm thrilled with the new switch!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

DBW - even if the Carter’s give you 14” of resaw , your saw is gonna be hard pressed to cut something that tall.

1.5 h.p. is pretty anemic for that size.

His switch is ready if he ever decides to up the horsepower.
    Bil lD

Dave thanks for replying. I was thinking I never heard anything and that was strange. You’re right about resaw capacity not being equal to power, maybe. I build custom cabinets and I had to trim a cabinet down that was 12-5/8” tall. I was going to use the bandsaw for that. But I was off by a 1/4” inch. Oh well. I found another way.