Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another bandsaw help question: Laguna LT18 vs Bx18

Yet another bandsaw help question: Laguna LT18 vs Bx18

I'd much appreciate insight from someone who's used (or at least seen seen) these two side by side. What does one get for the extra ~$2k besides a 2hp motor increase? Thanks in advance.

There have been a number of threads around these and similar machines...be sure to check them out, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The basic difference is one is made in Taiwan and the other in Italy with (I believe) a Baldor motor). How much do you plan on using the saw? The LT18 is an industrial saw which most likely has things like longer life bearings for users who will be using the saw for hours every day.

As for the search I don't have a lot of luck with it. If I use the "search thread" button It just searches for each word. If I put two words in it'll find posts with one or the other. Quotes don't work. If I use the "search" on the header it comes up with non Sawmill Creak sites. I don't know if it's something to do with my browser or if there's a trick that I don't know.

I also did not find much with the search feature. My principal use is dimensioning large-ish planks procured directly from a sawmill. I have a big batch of air-drying 8/4 - 12/4 oak that's up to 14" wide. I've switched from FAS KD lumber to dealing directly with sawmills and need a large bandsaw for those first cuts. That said, I am a hobbyist so I don't see the machine in use more than a couple hours/week, on the average.

Use google to search using this with your search phrase: search words or phrase goes here site:sawmillcreek.org You need the space between your search phrase and the site:, but no space after the colon.

I have the 18bx and while I've never seen or used an LT18, I would say the 18BX is great for your described use.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    ..My principal use is dimensioning large-ish planks procured directly from a sawmill...
    I would vote for the Italian machine. Good luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I would vote for the Italian machine. Good luck in your search.

Erik
    I'd much appreciate a chance to learn why you think that.

I'd much appreciate a chance to learn why you think that.
    Because it's built like a tank.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

If you are processing rough timbers, especially thick ones, I would go with the LT18. I have had one since 2001 and not a problem with it. The newer models have more resaw capacity than the 12" of my machine, but I would get another in a heartbeat if a UFO ever crashes into my shop.

When you say "14" wide" are you planning on resawing 14"? If so I would also say the extra HP of the LT would be useful. I think the LT18 can tension a wider blade (but not positive). For a few boards going a little slower isn't a problem. But if you have a big batch now and this could be the new norm and plenty more in the future I would want the extra hp.

I also did not find much with the search feature. My principal use is dimensioning large-ish planks procured directly from a sawmill. I have a big batch of air-drying 8/4 - 12/4 oak that's up to 14" wide. I've switched from FAS KD lumber to dealing directly with sawmills and need a large bandsaw for those first cuts. That said, I am a hobbyist so I don't see the machine in use more than a couple hours/week, on the average.
    I have a small bandsaw running with a small motor at 1.2 HP. The thing struggles to cut very hard tropical wood at 6in even with a brand new 3tpi resaw blade.

For 14' you would need much more power. Based on my experience with tropical hard wood, 3HP would be a bare minimum but 4HP would be desirable for some peace of mind.

Additionally to motor power, the overall structure can define machine lifespan mainly at more intense and/or heavy use as it looks is your case.

With a such demand, in your shoes I would go to the Italian model.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    When you say "14" wide" are you planning on resawing 14"? If so I would also say the extra HP of the LT would be useful. I think the LT18 can tension a wider blade (but not positive). For a few boards going a little slower isn't a problem. But if you have a big batch now and this could be the new norm and plenty more in the future I would want the extra hp.
    I gleaned from context that the OP means rough ripping of rough timber.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the LT 18. I was able to compare the LT 18 and the BX 18 side by side, and went with the LT 18. I have been extremely happy with it. It is accurate enough to cut joint ready tenons and will cut veneer 1/16" thick all day long. Interestingly enough, raising and lowering the blade guard on the BX 18 took less effort, but raising and lowering the blade guard on the LT 18 is no problem. I bought mine from Eagle Tools in Los Angeles. They are extremely knowledgeable regarding the entire Laguna line and can explain the specific differences between the two bandsaws. They also ship anywhere. My cousin in Virginia bought a Laguna bandsaw from Eagle Tools.
    Virginia

Thank you folks; I just ordered a new LT18. To touch on some of the above, I really didn't intend to imply I'd resaw the 14" oak, but, I do make a line of seachests, which are traditionally made of single planks 16"-17" wide. I had to use a horizontal bandsaw mill to resaw the last batch of those (in white pine), which worked out great, and if this saw can do it, so much the better. But I'm not counting on it.
    I'm also keeping my tricked-out delta 14".

That is a nice saw you have coming to you! I have an 18 BX, and the LT18 is definitely a nicer saw, and has more resaw capacity so you could do those 17" wide boards (the 18 BX tops out at 16")

I would also recommend getting the resaw king blade for it as well for your resaw work. I would actually say to get at least two, so that you have a spare for when you need to send one out for sharpening.