Thread: Hint so not to loose grub screws

Hint so not to loose grub screws

As it happens, I often need to take a plane to a remote location for a little adjustment. The latest time I needed a bevel-up block plane, and my No 5 1/4, both Veritas.
    When I got them home and started using them on a project, I felt the Block plane blade quite loose, as one grub screw holding the blade alignment was missing. I guess it was from the vibration of being in my tool bag, but naturally, couldn't find it even with a magnet.
    I ordered a screw from Lee Valley, which they're sending out, but I decided that, since I often have to make little adjustments away from the shop, and I don't have any "beaters", I needed to find a way to secure the screws.
    Another passion is riding my big, freak'n Harley, and you know how we love to tinker withn the things, I know the value of the larger tube of blue Loctite (insert the appropriate copyright sign here).
    Backed off the screws, a dab of blue on the thread, adjust, the other side, and no more worries about them coming out. Works on Jointers, planers etc.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    As it happens, I often need to take a plane to a remote location for a little adjustment. The latest time I needed a bevel-up block plane, and my No 5 1/4, both Veritas.
    When I got them home and started using them on a project, I felt the Block plane blade quite loose, as one grub screw holding the blade alignment was missing. I guess it was from the vibration of being in my tool bag, but naturally, couldn't find it even with a magnet.
    I ordered a screw from Lee Valley, which they're sending out, but I decided that, since I often have to make little adjustments away from the shop, and I don't have any "beaters", I needed to find a way to secure the screws.
    Another passion is riding my big, freak'n Harley, and you know how we love to tinker withn the things, I know the value of the larger tube of blue Loctite (insert the appropriate copyright sign here).
    Backed off the screws, a dab of blue on the thread, adjust, the other side, and no more worries about them coming out. Works on Jointers, planers etc.
    Aaron,

While it might cost a bit more, as a old Iron Butt rider I suggest you could also fix the problem by buying a 'Wing or a BMW .

ken

This is a picture of Aaron before he could afford his Harley

mini_bike.jpg

I do not own that particular plane, but, if the screws should not come out, seems like a pretty good tip about the blue Loctite (don't use the red by mistake).

Lee Valley is good to work with!

Ken, thanks. Harley unreliability as a legacy of the AMF days is largely over. My pals BMW waited 2 months for parts after his new R1200R blew the head off during a quiet early morning ride.
    I’ve had Hondas, Yamahas, a Norton, and I think the least problematic has been the 2 Harleys. We love to tinker, though.
    I Loctite everything because on 2 wheels if something falls off, so can I. I also religiously use a torque wrench.

Some BMW's shake also to the point the mirrors are useless. Some BMW's are extremely smooth. Have owned both
    Ron

Blue tape and now blue Loctite. I wonder how long before Pekovich writes about it without citing source