Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music in the shop after jobsite radio

I just bought a used Bose Wave Radio off Ebay. It arrived looking like new and works well for off air radio which I like.

My kids bought me an Amazon Echo for Christmas some years ago. I won't have a smart speaker in my home, so I put it in the shop. Great for streaming music from almost any source, audio books, podcasts ... whatever. If I'm doing things that don't involve a lot of machine noise, I just use the speaker as is. The ability to start and stop it with audible commands means that I can just pause, if, say, I'm in the middle of a book or podcast, and need to use a noisy machine for a few minutes. If a body wanted better sound fill for the shop, I believe you can make multiple smart speakers work in unison. If I'm doing lots of things with machines, I bind the Echo to 3M worktunes over the ear hearing protection, and tolerate that the time I'm deep into the router, or whatever.

"I won't have a smart speaker in my home"

ditto here.

In the shop I have an old school Nakamichi TA-4A receiver, with some Madisound diy ported Recession Buster speakers and use a stereo cable to a laptop.

Once the amp gives up the magic smoke, I might get a small refurbed GraceDigital amp. with a sub out. The Grace amp has audible feature that say's "power on" and "bluetooth connected" which can be helpful, but it can seem relatively loud in the late night quiet
    and you can't control it's volume.

Last edited by Mike Soaper; 09-20-2020 at 12:28 PM.

I've always had a stereo of some variety in the shop. It's usually a 'hand me down' receiver or some such and a speaker set. I used to plug an iPod into it. When we moved, and I was starting the shop build mode I discovered I had an old tv, and an appleTV unit. So those are now in the shop, and I normally just stream music from iTunes. Since the 2 channel sony amp is 25 years old, I have it going through a schitt DAC and some old 301s and some old outdoors. I don't have in ears or the like, because I generally don't need ear protection.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have a bookshelf system and sometimes still use it but mostly, Airpods and phone in my pocket these days. They let a lot of background sound in, so you can hear the world around you while still listening. If I was running machinery or a compressor a lost, then would probably get a set of wireless ear buds with the foam inserts.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have an old stereo receiver wired to two speakers that are suspended from the ceiling. My wi-fi signal reaches the shop via a repeater. I use an old Samsung smartphone to connect to the wi-fi. Patch cord from smartphone to CD input on stereo lets me stream free music. 99% of the time it's RadioMargaritaville.com or RadioTropRock.com

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00WIXL4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    I'm thinking of getting these in the future. There is also a brand called IsoTunes that some contractors have recommended. I figure this way your music doesn't get drowned out by machines. I have a little boombox with bad reception as music isn't really important to me. might change in the future when kiddos are a little older though

I use the Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio 4 blue tooth speaker with Pandora or my saved music from old cd's. It is an amazing speaker.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My set up is obsolete. This interests me since it is an iPod model which is no longer made with an add on FM transmitter. My fear is one day it will give up the ghost.

jtk

If it has an ear phone jack, go by Walmart in the auto stereo section and buy an FM transmitter for around eight bucks. Uses two AAA batteries. I use the NMH ones from HF in mine last about 32 hours of play time.

For me it's an old receiver / amp with sub woofer, and book shelf speakers. I have a pair of Scosche FM transmitters (from Walmart) that connects to either You Tube from computer in the house, or oldies channel from Direct TV. When using power tools, using head phone jack, rebroadcast out put of stereo to WorkTunes, using a third Scosche transmitter. This transmitter is set to a different frequency from the two in the house. Also can do transmitter onto my Sony Walkman (remember those?) to play CD's to both receiver, and WorkTunes. Plus we have a local oldies station.