Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music in the shop after jobsite radio

Music in the shop after jobsite radio

Last night my Rigid radio wouldn't turn on. Remote or manual turn on, change plugs, no cord damage etc.
    I like my music, so the choice is a new radio with remote, or a set of in-ear earphones, and they have to be programmable.
    I have over the ear sound attenuation headphones, but they're uncomfortable more than an hour at a time.
    Have you made a change, and what have you done?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I use a Bose Mini Soundlink and the music library on my phone via Bluetooth. I can stream Sirius/XM too. It works well. I have a cheap boombox as a backup if I need on air broadcast.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I can't wear ear plugs so buds are also out. I use ear muffs for hearing protection so I don't want something on my head. I put a small unix version on a laptop from 1995 and plug it into an old receiver and speakers. 4000-odd songs on a $40 1TB USB drive and away you go.

What is your source? That may get better responses.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    My set up is obsolete. This interests me since it is an iPod model which is no longer made with an add on FM transmitter. My fear is one day it will give up the ghost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have WiFi out in my garage. So I use a couple of Bose Soundtouch speakers.

These allow me to use Bluetooth to play audiobooks or music from my library on my phone.

I also use noise cancelling headphones when I'm doing lot of cutting or routing, where the machine noise cancels out a normal speaker. In this mode, I'm pretty much Bluetoothing content from my iPhone.

I can play many streaming radio stations, via the Wifi, controlled from an app on my iPhone.

Having the Wifi opens up a world of possibilities. The WiFi in my garage is just an extender from my house system.

I have two sources, an old Sony boombox for live radio and an old Android cell phone with an external hard wired speaker to play Google Play Music (GPM )(which is being replaced by Youtube Music but I haven't switched over yet). GPM plays the music on the phone plus free music streamed from the web. Also have a set of Sony sound cancelling headphones with Bluetooth to wear when I want noise protection and music. I have a clock app on the phone (which is left plugged into a charger) so it acts as a shop clock plus I can use ok Google commands to check weather, set timers, start and stop music etc all handsfree.

I use an older "shelf system" with a subwoofer in my shop....the unit and the R/L speakers are up on the wall and the sub is down on the floor near my bandsaw. I tried in-ear solutions but the lack of bass response was just not cutting it for me. (I have that problem with my hearing aids, too...great music reproduction via BlueTooth, EXCEPT the mdi-to-low bass is missing. When I'm wearing hearing protection for machining wood, either with traditional tools or my CNC where things get loud, I just accept that I'm not going to hear the music much during that time period.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

STR-DH190.jpg

This is what I bought for the shop this spring.

I use it for FM or with my iPod for podcasts or my stored music.

I also have a set of 3M worktunes earmuffs for FM or Bluetooth using the ipod..........Rod.

I still use the old GE SuperRadio (remember those???). Gosh, it's got to be 25 years old or more.

I know you said that you don't do earbuds. I have a wireless pair if I want to listen t a podcast on my phone. I just put one bud in so I can hear other things. They are small enough that I can put my hearing protection muffs over the top.

I have an older Denon HT receiver with an even older pair of B&W speakers on the wall. Sounds pretty good for a shop system. Mostly I listen to CBC radio but I can run Spotify though my iPad as well. I have no expectations or desire to listen to music while running machines and my dust collector would drown it out anyway...

I use the Makita bluetooth speaker to stream off my phone. Basically bought it since I have the batteries and can make it portable when working in the yard, house, etc.

I haven't listened to conventional radio in several years. I just upgraded my 20 year old Technics amplifier to a Yamaha amp with Bluetooth which is connected to some older Bose 201s. I have a Sonos Connect which I plug into the amp. The Bluetooth allows me to connect from Spotify or other source without the Sonos if they ever completely "brick" the Connect unit.

I also invested in a set of Samsung Galaxy Earbud Plus buds. They weren't cheap but sound great and have 11 hour battery life. They are awesome for cutting the lawn or running a chainsaw.
    Regards,

Kris

I have an old sony portable speaker that's connected through bluetooth to an echo dot. It stays plugged into the wall most of the time but I can unplug it and take it outside on battery when I'm working out there.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

I use my DeWalt tough system music system, that way I can charge batteries and listen to music/npr.

I use Bluetooth from my phone to either ear buds or a speaker. I built the Bluetooth speaker for my shop. It is rugged built with a plywood case and can run with the rechargeable batteries. The speakers can handle 30 watts each. It is amazing how cheap the components are these days.

Screenshot_2020-09-19-06-21-13_kindlephoto-951996416.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images