Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Napping

Napping

As age moves forward, I am becoming a big fan of afternoon naps.... Does anyone else nap?

I nap on Saturdays, for about 90 minutes.
    Other than that, who has the time?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Yep. I became a big fan of napping while I was being treated for cancer. I've kept the habit even though I'm 3 years into remission.

Been napping my whole life, got it down to a science, power nap, 10 minutes is best unless there is a reason for longer. Set an alarm because over napping is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Been napping my whole life, got it down to a science, power nap, 10 minutes is best unless there is a reason for longer. Set an alarm because over napping is bad.
    I was one that could never sleep when it was light out, except perhaps when very ill. Was always up by Sunrise and never slept until long after sunset. About 5 yrs ago, I started falling asleep at my desk. Just keep in mind that getting sleepy during the day is also a sign of a sleep disorder. I found myself falling asleep just sitting in a waiting room chair. Better now with little precautions and improved sleep at night. My wife would have a fit because I could fall asleep anywhere anytime we were idle even for a few minutes. I finally got help when I started getting droopy eyes just stopped at traffic lights.

Blog Entries
    During the dot-coms explosion we worked pretty much 24/7 so one learned to power nap and sleep in 3-4 hour shifts. If the building was tall enough I could even nod off in the elevator. Sleeping on planes was a breeze. A switch flipped when I turned 65. Suddenly I like naps ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Not since retiring from my last job.

For some reason it is difficult for me to fall back to sleep after about 6:00 in the morning. My mother was an insomniac and it seems to have been passed on to me. Since my consumption of coffee has been considerably lower over the past few years falling asleep at night has been easy. It may have been coffee consumption induced insomnia. Learning to calm the mind while awake has helped me through many a night.

Now while sitting comfortably watching a movie or TV program it isn't unusual for me to doze off.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have never been able to nap all my life, even as a kid, and that continues with me as a 63 year old adult. I feel more tired afterward, likely because of the "kind" of sleep I tend to enter which is a bear to wake up from. So I don't nap. 'Can't sleep on planes, either...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I sometimes take a nap, but not daily.

Nope, never napper here, but then, I have a habit of not doing the things that are good for me.

* swigs coffee and takes a big drag on a cigarette *

Love my afternoon naps! I'm only able to get them one or two days a week and sure look forward to them.

-Ken

Blog Entries
    I love taking a nap after a long Sunday run (and after a shower). About an hour is perfect.

LOML bought me a wonderful hammock several years ago and I was quickly seduced by the afternoon nap. Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes all afternoon. Working from home (or the hammock) is great.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    As age moves forward, I am becoming a big fan of afternoon naps.... Does anyone else nap?
    A good friend of mine, when he was editor of Horticulture magazine, had a small office in their facilities in Cambridge, MA. He napped after lunch every day. To get 15 minutes uninterrupted he closed his door, layed down on a mat on the floor, on his back, with his feet firmly against the inward swinging door.

I have many colleagues who are physicians. They are chronically sleep deprived. Quite a few of them have mastered the art of using administrative meetings to nap. I think they all learned to fall asleep almost instantly in med school and internship, and make good use of it in this setting. Their biggest challenge is that they develop an increased tendency to snore as they as they age. Not the best if you're pretending to be in a meeting.

My old man was a dedicated napper. Lunch at the kitchen table, followed by 15 minutes out cold in his lazy boy, and then back to the farm was his core noon routine.
    Last edited by Steve Demuth; 09-19-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Big fan of the siesta. I almost always take a 15-20 minute power nap after lunch. My wife says she cannot nap and is jealous.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep