Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Napping

I tell my non-retired friends that I sometimes miss my mid-morning nap, but never my mid-afternoon nap. They don't find it as amusing as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    As age moves forward, I am becoming a big fan of afternoon naps.... Does anyone else nap?
    Only at work when I'm paid for it

Seriously, I like a nap for an hour in the afternoon, I wake up refreshed and ready to tackle stuff again........Rod.

I don't nap, but I'm going to bed earlier.

But I'm waking up earlier also, so it balances out. I can't remember the last time I slept past 5:30AM.

I am a horrible sleeper, I'm also 1 that takes awhile to fall asleep so I don't nap. I will nod off on a Sunday afternoon after a week full of bad sleep. I always wake up feeling worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have never been able to nap all my life, even as a kid, and that continues with me as a 63 year old adult. I feel more tired afterward, likely because of the "kind" of sleep I tend to enter which is a bear to wake up from. So I don't nap. 'Can't sleep on planes, either...
    I think being told to nap when you are a kid ,and not the least bit sleepy, inclines the former child to assert their adult
    power to use caffein .

Bryan, try some Melatonin, just 3mg, about an hour before bed. Works for many people but not for everyone. I worked the night shift years ago and one of the guys was making fun of Melatonin and downed 4 of them a few hours before the shift ended. He must have forgot because the next night he mentioned how well he had slept that day.

When you are tired, but too "wired", to sleep try chamomile tea. Works well for many and blocks frustration dreams. I
    noticed that ,then read it was the " only known cure and preventive for nightmares". When my son was born I found out
    that holding him made ME fall asleep. Nature contrives some nutty pranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    As age moves forward, I am becoming a big fan of afternoon naps.... Does anyone else nap?
    In regular routine I sleep 7 hours/night and don't nap. Weekends I sleep 8-9 hours.

On days that go very hectic - once every 3 weeks or so - I take an hour nap after work, in evening.

I have tried normal day napping but it never worked. Can't fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    I am a horrible sleeper, I'm also 1 that takes awhile to fall asleep so I don't nap. I will nod off on a Sunday afternoon after a week full of bad sleep. I always wake up feeling worse.
    Have you worked on identifying why your regular sleep is poor? It could be any combination of physical discomforts (the bed/bedding, skeletal things, etc), a chemical imbalance or breathing issues that keep you from getting enough of "that sleep" that actually refreshes. You probably have already, but it's a good discussion to have with your physician.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think being told to nap when you are a kid ,and not the least bit sleepy, inclines the former child to assert their adult
    power to use caffein .
    Perhaps, but I only have one latté in the morning and don't tend to drink other caffeinated beverages other than an occasional iced tea at lunch out or something. There were times in my life when I didn't do coffee at all...still no naps. That said, I certainly was a willful child!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Love my morning nap of 1 hour.... no other nap...

Earlier this year I worked from home for about 6 weeks. Every day after lunch I took a 30 minute snooze. It was awesome.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I have a T-shirt with a message that "nap time is my happy hour".

In my 40's if working in town, I'd come home for lunch, take a 10 minute power nap and go back for another 12 hours. Then in my late 50's that ability went to the way side. Try as I might, I can't nap anymore.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I just awoke from a nap, about 45 minutes..........aahhhh.

I have a rule that is conveyed to all friends, family and clients, "Don't try to contact me between noon and 2 PM", I eat lunch and nap for approximately 30 minutes. This is my time to recharge for the balance of the day. I am a big fan of naps and have been for years.

I typically go to bed at 10 PM, fall asleep around 11 PM and wake up around 5:30 - 6o.