Thread: Maloof Style Chair in Pine

Maloof Style Chair in Pine

I have some old growth southern yellow pine. They are timbers and would have to resave them to size. I was thinking of using this material for my first Malloof style build, but couldn’t find any made of pine. Any reason(s) why pine wouldn’t work for a sculpted project?

Thanks,
    Chip

Pine would definitely work. I feel like ive seen a maloof clone in pine before....perhaps im making it up. I think its an unusual species for the project, because the material cost is nothing in comparison to the cost of the labor involved. If im going to spend 2-300 hours on a project, i want it to look the absolute best it can. For me, that was using walnut with some figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Pine would definitely work. I feel like ive seen a maloof clone in pine before....perhaps im making it up. I think its an unusual species for the project, because the material cost is nothing in comparison to the cost of the labor involved. If im going to spend 2-300 hours on a project, i want it to look the absolute best it can. For me, that was using walnut with some figure.
    Thanks Patrick, that sounds like good advice. Normally, I would agree 100%. The reason I am thinking about using this southern pine is that the growth rings are incredibly close and I think that will make for a spectacular visual effect.