Thread: Moving Fillister Planes

Moving Fillister Planes

I have a kitchen trash can to build, the sides are glued up and ready to size. So what do I do? Dig out a couple or three wood stock moving fillister planes to set up. Go figure.
    Usually with old fillister planes the cutter and the wedge usually fit unless they are not original with the plane. With out fail if it is an angled cutter the angle on the iron is wrong.

movingFillisterCutter.jpg

I will usually reference off the cutting side and the plane's mouth with a bevel gauge and then transfer the angle to the iron with a marker. With that I can go to the grinder and correct the angle on the iron.
    With this plane the wood screws are binding needing some wax and working back and forth. It is easier to do with the plane disassembled.

movingFillisterA.jpg

This is my favorite style wood stock moving fillister plane:

movingFillisterReadyto Use.jpg

Some will have a nicker, it is kinda a six to a half dozen as to a nicker or not.

ken

I passed on one over Labor Day weekend...
    West Liberty, Woodies and such.JPG
    Was missing way too many parts....

Blog Entries
    Usually with old fillister planes the cutter and the wedge usually fit unless they are not original with the plane. With out fail if it is an angled cutter the angle on the iron is wrong.
    It makes one wonder if someone took a tool chest of wooden planes apart and then got all the pieces jumbled at times.

What those old timers did to cutters makes me think drinking at work must have been okay back then, a whole lot of drinking.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I passed on one over Labor Day weekend...

Was missing way too many parts....
    Steven,

Good move, they are hard enough to get working correctly when you start with one in good shape.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It makes one wonder if someone took a tool chest of wooden planes apart and then got all the pieces jumbled at times.

What those old timers did to cutters makes me think drinking at work must have been okay back then, a whole lot of drinking.

jtk
    Jim,

Ain't that the truth. From reading accounts of the times that was just part of working.

ken