Thread: Shaper head and bits

Shaper head and bits

Someone gave me these. Not sure what will drive it and even more not sure that I need them. What is info on these and value?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bruce, we used to see a lot of those in shops and ...Sears. I think they were mainly used on table saws. Nothing wrong
    with them ,it's just that so many have shapers and dados now. I don't think they would bring much ....unless it's a SPECIAL set
    certified by an Antique Gypsy Road Show.

I didn’t think of using them on the table saw, I’ll see how it goes, thanks!

whats the bore size if its 5/8" then doesnt matter it will only fit a table saw till bored out. mine are bored to 1 1/4 the most common spindle size. They work better on a shaper than a table saw as you come in from the side rather than on top with table saw. Higher RPM makes a better cut on a shaper, think the limit on them is 5,200 approx and will depend on each manufacturer

on a table saw they pound a bit, on a shaper they are useable but take one off and put serrated or corrugated and you see how they dont compare. Have them in three knife and one that takes only one knife.

They dont compare to good cutters in good steel. often more hand sanding than better cutters.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 09-18-2020 at 1:58 AM.

I had something very similar for a Craftsman radial arm saw. I think it was part of their "it can do everything" phase when they were pushing the RS as the new go to tool for everyone. I can't remember if it came with it or if it was something I had to buy along with the cutter but they had a plastic guard for it. I really don't think the guard would have stopped anything more than splinters. The inserts weren't even high speed steel so they dulled very quickly and would burn the wood. It ended up in a drawer somewhere and long since gone now.