Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by woody dixon View Post
    Yes but then I was trying to figure out why the blade broke and when I put tension back on the wheel hit the top cover and wouldn't turn anymore. So you're saying this is normal without a blade on the wheel? This would mean I have no problem and just need to replace the blade.
    Yes. Release tension and try the new blade.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Yes. Release tension and try the new blade.
    Ok. One thing I forgot to mention was that when I first started resawing I noticed the cut was not straight and that the blade was no longer perpendicular to the table. I adjusted the table, started the cut again and the blade broke. Don't know if this is significant or not. Thanks.

Ok. One thing I forgot to mention was that when I first started resawing I noticed the cut was not straight and that the blade was no longer perpendicular to the table. I adjusted the table, started the cut again and the blade broke. Don't know if this is significant or not. Thanks.
    Well, yes, that could be significant. That's a lot different from just a broken blade. Reread Dick's and John's posts and inspect carefully. Pay close attention when you put the new blade on.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Blog Entries
    Are you sure your new blade is the correct length? If the blade is too long the upper wheel can hit the shroud when you tilt the upper wheel. The tilt adjustment on the upper wheel is supposed to be for adjusting tracking only.

Finally got my saw up and running. I got new upper wheel bearings, spring and carter tension rod from Iturra Design. Seems to be working fine except the upper guide block assembly is skewed to one side, i.e., the blade cannot be centered between my cool blocks. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment for this. I almost got the tracking arm Dick mentioned above but decided to wait and see if this worked. Would the shim pack he mentions above make that lateral adjustment?

It its possible that after you adjusted the table and started the cut again that the blade started to follow the original saw kerf thus putting extra strain on the blade.
    When you say you cannot center the blade between the cool blocks, do you mean front to back or side to side? Maybe post a few pictures. I assume the Jet is similar to the 14" Delta so you should be able make that adjustment, a few pictures might help us understand why you can't.

Photo Sep 22, 7 31 19 PM.jpg

Here is a picture of what I was describing showing the huge gap. Don't know why the picture rotated it is upright on my pc.

Edit: rotated photo, JKJ

__rotated.jpg
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 09-23-2020 at 1:16 PM.

Something is jacked up big time. Can’t help but think that it would be easy to see looking at it in person. Maybe walks away from it for a few days and then come back and give it a complete once over from the ground up.

Dan

Looks like the blade is centered in the table opening ok, if you put the insert in you should be able to confirm this. Is the post holding the blade guard and guides vertical? Did it get knocked out of plumb somehow? Maybe loosen it and retighten the knob on top?
    Check to make sure the blade isn't hung up below the table, is it centered between the Cooblocks below the table?
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 09-22-2020 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    Something is jacked up big time. Can’t help but think that it would be easy to see looking at it in person. Maybe walks away from it for a few days and then come back and give it a complete once over from the ground up.

Dan
    Maybe get someone else with bandsaw experience to take a look at it.

JKJ

Finally success. I must have loosened the bolt on the guide rod which allowed the whole upper guide assembly to rotate to the side. I just rotated it back and it is now centered. My bad. One good thing is I have a much better understanding of how the parts of the saw fit together and function. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Woody Dixon

Glad you got it fixed, now we can look forward to seeing what you make with it.