Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Figured walnut jewelry box for the wifey

Blog Entries

Figured walnut jewelry box for the wifey

My latest, and most certainly toughest, project. I picked up a monster piece of 12/4 curly walnut almost a year ago and i've been sitting on it ever since. My wife always complains that I test out new projects on her, then master them for others, so I left this project until I had finished a half dozen others first. This is a big box, 20" long, 15' high by 12" deep. The drawer fronts are 6/4 walnut with lipped half blinds at the front and through dovetails at the rear, all handcut. The carcass is sliding dovetails. The hardware is all from brusso, I've really fallen in love with everything they make. The finish is a quick coat of danish oil followed by 5 coats of ultrablond shellac sprayed through an HVLP and finally rubbed out with a couple coats of wax on 0000 steel wool. Let me know what you think, I've gained so much from this forum, constructive feedback would be lovely.
    IMG_1840.jpgIMG_1841.jpgIMG_1842.jpgIMG_1844.jpgIMG_1847.jpgIMG_1848.jpgIMG_1849.jpgIMG_1850.jpg

Outstanding!!!!!

Awesome wood Awesome craftsmanship.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Whew! Thank goodness I was looking at this while the wife was gone shopping. That came out just beautiful but, I don't need her seeing it . I like the twist on the side doors with sliding panels behind. Sign up for Brusso's emails. They have sales throughout the year and I haven't paid full price for any Brusso since signing up. Love their stuff.

Wonderful job on grain selection and the book-matching. Great attention to detail. The time it takes to address every aspect of an item is what elevates a piece to where this one stands. Well done. The material is, of course, beautiful. What is the ebonized wood used for the pulls?
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-17-2020 at 11:02 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Justin, spectacular piece. I’m sure your wife loves it. I had to laugh at your comment on the test pieces to the wife. I can relate. I made a dozen or so boxes for nieces and nephews, and one turned out so well my wife said “nope, that’s mine...make another one”

Blog Entries
    Haha. My wife claims many things. The pulls and handles are proper ebony, not cheap, but just so gorgeous

Wow, that's beautiful. You need to give advice, not seek it!

And the wood is stunning.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Justin,

I wouldn't give that to your wife yet.
    That to me looks like a "get out of jail free" card for when she gets mad at you for too much time in the shop.
    Great work!!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

That is indeed, a masterpiece. A very skillful, no, make that artistic, use of the grain patterns.

Even if I had the skill I'm much too frugal to build such a beautiful piece.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    My wood supplier called me about that piece of walnut when he got it in, said it was the prettiest piece he’d seen in a long time. 10’ long, 10/4 thick and 15” wide. So it’s been sitting in my rack taunting me for the past year. The problem with building a box that’s grain matched as much as this one is, is that there’s literally no room for error, so the dovetails and glue up was insanely stressful. Thankfully though it came together well, and the shellac and danish oil really did the trick for bringing that grain to life. I always try and learn a new skill with every build, unfortunately with this build it was many more than that. Haha.

Looking at the front of the box I see the original board, the box details seem to just fade away. Can't say that I have even seen anything like that in all my years.
    Yours is a knock your socks off project....WOW.

I think someone likes their wifey. Great show of craftsmanship.

Wow! I like that even the drawer sides are the same wood and finish.

Blog Entries
    That is a really nice project. I especially like the matched grain on the drawer fronts and book matched doors. I'm sure your wife will like it, but it might cost you as she fills it up with new jewelry.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like the way you have used the grain on the two verticals to make a painted stage prop op art bombe chest pop! Would
    be great on stage. The real over acting to play the unreal.