Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jointer/Planer Question

Yes, that's true, Curt...parallel to the wall is pretty much required with enough space in that direction to accommodate both the bar and the manuvering. If I had to move my JP with any frequency, I'd want a different solution. But for folks who place the machine, leave it in that spot and only move it for maintenance that requires accessing the back, the solution works just fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Wolfy View Post
    Erik,

Which Porta Mate mobility kit do they buy for the Hammer A3-41? It moves on four axis vs. just the two that the mobility kit uses with the bar?

Rod
    Rod, I'm almost positive it's the 3500. There are some Youtube videos about it. Yes, it moves like a true dolly.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...parallel to the wall is pretty much required with enough space in that direction to accommodate both the bar and the manuvering...
    The reason for that is that the mfr. (doesn't matter, Italian or Austrian) wants the machine resting on it's frame when not being wheeled around for maximum stability. Obviously, if the customer's floor is not level and they had a dolly-type mobility kit, the machine could rock during use. That being said, pretty much any of these already have holes in the frame that could accept some type of caster. if I wanted wheels at every corner and budget was not a concern, I would put Zambus or Great Lakes leveling casters on it. A universal dolly-type base would be the budget option but like Jim mentions, if a mobility solution already comes with the machine, save yourself the $$$.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I can move suff faster on pipes than the pallet jack as its a wide one, i dont have a narrow pallet jack so have to do creative blocking. If the pipes are long I can slide the machine sideways on the pipes easily as well. Ive always dragged it around or lifted from the tables but its old and heavier than stuff is made now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Rod, I'm almost positive it's the 3500. There are some Youtube videos about it. Yes, it moves like a true dolly.

Erik
    I use a PM-3550 base on mine, with all four wheels swiveling.

The 3500 is identical, but has two swivel and two non-swivel wheels, each of which can be assembled on any corner. Naturally, the two swivels need to be on the same edge.

Both models have the same weight capacity (1500 lbs, IIRC).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

The reason for that is that the mfr. (doesn't matter, Italian or Austrian) wants the machine resting on it's frame when not being wheeled around for maximum stability. Obviously, if the customer's floor is not level and they had a dolly-type mobility kit, the machine could rock during use.
    Yes, I neglected to mention that I like that my J/P is sitting with the cabinet directly on the floor. It. Doesn't. Move.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    You're very welcome, David.

One thing about the lift: It uses a hydraulic cylinder, that only retracts when you unscrew the relief valve. Some of them are very touchy, and a very slight twist can send a heavy load down very quickly. I was expecting this might happen, and practiced the release during those first short lifts (only a couple inches off the pallet) to find the balance point for the sling.

I was glad I had done that when I actually set it down on the mobile base.

Let us know how your lift goes!

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    I thought I’d give you the update.
    I borrowed a friends truck and rented an engine lift this morning to finally get my FS-30 set up. It was no problem to put the lift together and raise the J/P off the pallet and on to Portamate PM-3500. It was inexpensive to rent and very controlled and easy to handle alone. I’m glad you gave me the heads up on the relief valve as it was sensitive.
    I used lifting hooks on the knockouts and found it stable and the hooks didn’t mar the finish. There were plugs for the holes included. I was able to pick up hooks cheaply ($2.99) and had lots of suitable line.
    The PM-3500 seems easy enough to maneuver in my small shop and looks good as well! It seems very heavy duty.
    I’ll put some knives in the J/P this afternoon and fire it up but wanted to say thanks for the tips.
    Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    ...I’ll put some knives in the J/P this afternoon and fire it up but wanted to say thanks for the tips...
    David, I assume you got a Tersa machine? If so, there will already be knives in there. Chromium steel, which is the "budget" knife. Pick up some HSS if you can.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

David, I assume you got a Tersa machine? If so, there will already be knives in there. Chromium steel, which is the "budget" knife. Pick up some HSS if you can.

Erik
    I agree with Erik about moving to the HSS or M2 knives going forward. I get really good wear from them. Even paying shipping, https://tersaknives.com/ has been the best pricing for me.
    --

Erik

Hi Eric,
    I did go with Tersa. My machine came with the Chromium steel knives but they were not installed. I had pre-ordered some HSS and M2 knives and put in the HSS blades. I’ll save the chromium steel ones for softer woods.
    I’m obviously just starting out with using the machine but so far I’m very pleased. It is a good fit for my small space and it has done a great job on the first few pieces I’ve put through it.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with Erik about moving to the HSS or M2 knives going forward. I get really good wear from them. Even paying shipping, https://tersaknives.com/ has been the best pricing for me.
    Hi Jim,
    I did order from Tersaknives.com based in part on your earlier recommendation. I’m happy to support a small Canadian business although they are far from local lol! The service was friendly and shipping was very fast. I’ll be giving them my business in the future.
    David

Yes, they are worthy of support like so many small businesses that have a nice niche. But yea...they definitely are not local to you! LOL
    --

I have the Hammer A3-41 J/P machine and have never had a problem with table alignment when changing from one function to another. Having a quality machine is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I thought I’d give you the update.
    I borrowed a friends truck and rented an engine lift this morning to finally get my FS-30 set up. It was no problem to put the lift together and raise the J/P off the pallet and on to Portamate PM-3500. It was inexpensive to rent and very controlled and easy to handle alone. I’m glad you gave me the heads up on the relief valve as it was sensitive.
    I used lifting hooks on the knockouts and found it stable and the hooks didn’t mar the finish. There were plugs for the holes included. I was able to pick up hooks cheaply ($2.99) and had lots of suitable line.
    The PM-3500 seems easy enough to maneuver in my small shop and looks good as well! It seems very heavy duty.
    I’ll put some knives in the J/P this afternoon and fire it up but wanted to say thanks for the tips.
    Best regards,
    David
    Knowing how everything is in my shop now, I probably could have gotten away with a PM-3500 just fine, instead of the PM-3550 I purchased (but it was on sale.) The Bora Portamate PM-35xx series are plenty heavy duty, at least for my needs.

Glad the info was helpful, and all went well!

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Unless you have space constraints I see no reason to get two different machines. While its true the changeover only takes a minute and a half or so, its still a pain. Its a real pain when you convert it all over only to realize you forgot to do one board and have to go all the way back. Also bending way over to use the planer kinda sucks. I prefer planers that can be raised and lowered on the fly, without have an unlock lever on it. I also am not a fan of the lightweight aluminum fences most combo machines have.