Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jointer/Planer Question

Jointer/Planer Question

I have an 8 inch DJ-20 jointer (with Byrd head) that I've had for 30 years, and works well. I also have the Grizzly 15 inch planer with spiral head, which after much time devoted to adjustments, now also works well. But I'd love a wider jointer, and the MiniMax FS41E 16 inch J/P looks attractive, and could replace both of those machines. For those who have that machine (or the comparable Felder version) my question is whether the tables stay co-planer as you switch back/forth between jointer and planer functions? I spent a long afternoon getting my DJ-20 tables co-planer (or as close as I could get them) I would not want to be doing that frequently on a combination machine, if that is the trade-off for having a wider jointer...
    Thanks!
    Izzy

Izzy, I've sold plenty of both Euro brands you mentioned. In my experience, unless the owner is abusive or does things like drag/move the machine around by the jointer tables, they will not go out of alignment or need further adjustment. It's one of the reasons you spend bigger bucks: So you're not having to mess with the machine all the time. Hope this helps,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have the FS41e and the table do stay in alignment. I do make sure that there is no saw dust on the contact points for the infeed/outfeed tables each time I set them down. Seems to work for me. I have not moved the machine since I planted it in its current position two years ago.

What Erik said...these are all fine machines and are designed to stay dead on over time. I've had to do ZERO adjustment to my J/P purchased in the mid-2000s. And that was "right out of the crate", as it were.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am fairly confident that you won't have to worry about the J/P staying in adjustment. Getting it in alignment in the first place is a whole different issue. I believe that there is a significant chance that the alignment "out of the crate" may not be up to your standards: it wasn't for me.

I've never had a problem on mine switching back and forth. I have a 16" Hammer J/P on order, with spiral head. Had a 12" Felder J/P and a Jet 12" J/P in the past.

I have the slightly smaller FS-35. It's from the 1980's; I bought it used about 4 years. I almost completely disassembled it to get it down into my shop. It went back together w/o any problems and the tables were and remain perfectly coplaner within my ability to measure. As mentioned above, just make sure that the mating surfaces are free of sawdust when closing the tables.

John

Yes the tables stay coplanar, I've had mine 12 years now, no issues.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Izzy, I've sold plenty of both Euro brands you mentioned. In my experience, unless the owner is abusive or does things like drag/move the machine around by the jointer tables, they will not go out of alignment or need further adjustment. It's one of the reasons you spend bigger bucks: So you're not having to mess with the machine all the time. Hope this helps,

Erik
    This is why I never cared for mounting casters directly to the machine or most mobile bases. How else am I supposed to move the machine without some sort of handles? This was my solution:
    Attachment 441378

The downside is that I can't 'spin' the machine, I can turn it but it takes room. I never have to touch the machine to move it though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Felder AD941 (16") and before that a mm fs350 for about 30 years. Yes they stay co-planer, with one caveat when tightening the handles you need to hit about the same "tightness" every time (at least on the AD941). I have found on the AD941 if I happen to crank down on the outfeed it will pull it a little lower same goes if to light (would be a little high) it doesn't happen as much now that I know its sweet spot but when it does its no big deal, just loosen or tighten after the first cut is made and its dead on - no measuring device needed.

BTW I get zero snipe on the AD941 (jointing or planing) after a rocky start it is a fantastic machine and will only be replaced when I have room for separates.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This is why I never cared for mounting casters directly to the machine or most mobile bases. How else am I supposed to move the machine without some sort of handles?
    My SCM/MiniMax J/P has two integrated casters and a "Johnson bar" that both lifts and swivels the machine. The bar is the handle. There's no touching the machine bed. It's not the most elegant method relative to movement for sure to get something placed exactly (I very rarely move my machine and have marked the floor for the exact position it has to be if I do move it out for maintenance, etc.) But the system works. The commercial base I use for my lathe (again very rarely) works the same way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can measure a difference on my 741 if I move it, but haven't noticed it makes any difference. As heavy as the base is, I'm sure it flexes under the weight of the tables.

Awful out of flat floor in my garage. If it rocks when I move it, I move it around until it doesn't. At one point I had circled the front pads with a sharpie, but they've long since worn away.

I've used the 700 with it on 3 points. Sometimes it just has to be positioned 'there' for clearance. Other than rocking to another corner as the table goes to the other end of travel, it doesn't seem to effect anything.

I very much doubt the base is flexing, why wouldn't you use a wedge... there is also a bolt on one corner of a foot that could be used but if you are moving it around a wedge os easier

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    I can measure a difference on my 741 if I move it, but haven't noticed it makes any difference. As heavy as the base is, I'm sure it flexes under the weight of the tables.

Awful out of flat floor in my garage. If it rocks when I move it, I move it around until it doesn't. At one point I had circled the front pads with a sharpie, but they've long since worn away.

I've used the 700 with it on 3 points. Sometimes it just has to be positioned 'there' for clearance. Other than rocking to another corner as the table goes to the other end of travel, it doesn't seem to effect anything.
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 09-18-2020 at 4:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    This is why I never cared for mounting casters directly to the machine or most mobile bases. How else am I supposed to move the machine without some sort of handles?...
    I've not personally had an issue with caster-type mobility kits on J/P's (a million customers with Portmate/HTC-type dollies). The worry is more when trying to move the machine off the pallet or pushing it across a concrete floor by itself. I guess if you had casters and were worried about it, you could always drill a couple of holes in the cabinet and mount some generic handle(s) on there. That's pretty much how the Felder AD's are. Just thinking out loud.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

i had a portamate on an ad941 with 4 swiveling wheels it was a nightmare to move around but in the end i kept banging my ankle on the wheel which is why I took it off. Narrow pallet jack is they way to go or the Felder mobility kit.
    4B770DAA-0323-462A-8577-E21895E45372.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I've not personally had an issue with caster-type mobility kits on J/P's (a million customers with Portmate/HTC-type dollies). The worry is more when trying to move the machine off the pallet or pushing it across a concrete floor by itself. I guess if you had casters and were worried about it, you could always drill a couple of holes in the cabinet and mount some generic handle(s) on there. That's pretty much how the Felder AD's are. Just thinking out loud.

Erik