Thread: A back saw arrived... what is Silver Steel?

A back saw arrived... what is Silver Steel?

I just acquired a Groves back saw from around 1850 and the brass back is labeled Silver Steel. I've never had a silver steel saw that i know of. Anything special about it?

20200917_124023.jpg20200917_124005.jpg20200917_123941.jpg20200917_123922.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Atkins also used the term for their line of saws.....

There was also the German Silver Steel...$$$$$

Apparently it just means polished steel.

Marketing....
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Apparently it just means polished steel.

Marketing....

Nope, it is a high-carbon tool steel, a little higher in carbon than O1. Still commonly used in Britain. Not much different than the 1095 used by modern sawmakers.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

This is the only explanation I have found (from the Atkins 1906 catalog)

The wonderful growth of our business in hand and small saws has been noted and remarked upon from all quarters. The secret of our success in this Department is on account of the high quality of the saws.
    This quality is based upon the use of our celebrated Silver Steel which enables the saw to take a high, tough temper, which, together with the finest grade of grinding, finish and workmanship throughout, makes them the finest saws on the market.
    The following numbers are our leaders :
    Nos. 51, 54, 55. Silver-Steel, Damaskeen finish.
    Nos. 53 and 65. Silver-Steel,, Perfection handle, Damaskeen finish. Nos. 66 and 67. StlvBr-Srnnl, Mirror finish.
    Nos. 68 and 69. Silver-Steel, Perfection handle, Mirror finish.
    No. 64. Silver Nickel Steel, London spring, Damaskeen
    finish.
    No. 52. Silver-Steel,, Damaskeen ; made especially for pattern and bench work, to run without set.