Thread: Adhere workshop made Edge Banding

Question Adhere workshop made Edge Banding

As some already know, I'm in the midst of a mid century modern vanity build. One area of the cabinet requires that plywood be edge banded. I've produced the banding and stained it to match the cabinet. Preferably, I'd also like to apply the polyurethane finish prior to application. What are my options for adhering the banding? Because of the pre-finishing, I'll be unable to trim the pieces after application.

Generally, finishing is done after the banding is applied. It sounds like you know this already. You'll still need to trim it with a router and scrape off any excess glue. Hate to say it but sounds like you will need to re-finish after it's been applied.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

You obviously know your application and the need for pre-finishing... how to apply banding perfectly flush, pre-finished, with minimal glue line would be tough to say the least. I guess if I were in that situation I would groove (preferably V) the ply edge, and make the solid wood banding as a T molding that would key into the groove. Whether or not it would flush perfectly on the faces (if that were needed) would be a roll of the dice.

If the face of the ply to the banding edge isnt critical or there is an intentional reveal than any means would work. PVA if you can keep all finish off the mating faces, epoxy, UF, anything.

I really don't think you could have thought up a method for that element that could be more difficult. I've got nothing to even suggest a way to do it, and I've been edge banding plywood for almost 40 years. Good luck with that design!

Lots of blue tape. Cut all the edge banding to the exact dimensions needed. Mask off all the backsides of the banding and edges of the ply. Apply your finish. Remove the blue tape. Apply the banding with whatever "glue" you choose.

When I did my office cabinets, I used the edge banding bits that create both a vee and a slot, like the tongue and groove bit here: https://www.infinitytools.com/edge-b...uter-bits-3456

I made the banding, applied it and flushed it before finishing, but the fit was so precise I think you could get by with prefinishing and applying it. Getting the bits dialed in precisely is crucial, and a bit fussy, but not that bad. Definitely needs a decent router table though.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    Lots of blue tape.
    This. And maybe a few 23 gage pin nails in the most inconspicuous places to insure alignment "sticks" while you apply the tape. Be sure that you select which edge absolutely must be flush with a surface so you can index on that as best as possible because fingers WILL feel the edge otherwise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I only pre-finish to a certain point; very early in the process. Then assembly. This gives me the advantages of pre-finishing but, none of the problems of final colorants and top coats. If you put your first color or oil coat on, assemble, fit (sand or plane) and then do your 2nd and 3rd coats and then top coat you avoid the issue.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just a quick update. I did successfully adhere the edge band this am. In the end, I used Titebond III (it is what I had) and lots of blue tape. I actually just clamped each piece a couple of places while I worked my way down/across the pieces with the tape. It came out flush and seems well adhered now that Ive removed the tape. Added a few strategic pin nails just for good measure.

Thanks for your ideas.