Thread: Left over cypress

Left over cypress

I bought some cypress to make a table and chairs for the patio. I made the table , but decided not to make the chairs. To much time involved. Trying to figure out what to make out of the left over cypress I have. it's not great for out doors due to mildew, wish I would have made the table out of teak, but oh well.

If I make an outdoor bench out of it and don't maintain the finish would the mildew get on someones clothes if they sat on it?

Thanks.
    Brian
    Brian

Mildew happens in a "moisture rich" and darker environment and isn't necessarily tied to the wood species. Of course, the texture can matter, too. If the bench is kept in a sunnier area, you should have less issue with the mold/mildew on surfaces that actually get used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Mildew happens in a "moisture rich" and darker environment and isn't necessarily tied to the wood species. Of course, the texture can matter, too. If the bench is kept in a sunnier area, you should have less issue with the mold/mildew on surfaces that actually get used.
    Jim, thanks, local radio guys do a bit called, "Mr. Obvious." My only excuse is I am older. thanks brian
    Brian

Cypress is a great wood for outdoors. I agree the mildew has nothing to do with it being cypress, just the environment. I built a raised bed garden with the cypress I had leftover and it's survived very well.

I would say "yes". This is a pic of a cypress bench, that's been sitting in the Houston sun/heat/humidity for 6 years, unmaintained. Originally coated in Thompson's until it wouldn't soak in anymore.
    20200918_142001.jpg