Thread: shop fox mobile base replacement casters?

shop fox mobile base replacement casters?

Hi all, I have several SF mobile bases that have had the wheels shread/delaminate apart recently. I actually bought some replacement SF casters from Amazon and they lasted less than a year and did the same thing.

Anyone know of a nice replacement that should hold up a bit better? I'm guessing I'm not the first one to see this problem.

Blog Entries
    Take one of the old ones to a caster store. They will be able to recommend something that will be suitable for the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Take one of the old ones to a caster store. They will be able to recommend something that will be suitable for the application.
    thanks, I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing as a local caster store. If so, I would have no idea but I'll have a look around.

I was really hoping this was just an easy thing to order online.

Blog Entries
    Movers used the Shop Fox base on my bandsaw instead of a dolly as instructed. These bases are not meant for that kind of moving around ;-) I replaced the wheels with the steel ones since I had such good performance from them on my planer. D4175 and D4176.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Movers used the Shop Fox base on my bandsaw instead of a dolly as instructed. These bases are not meant for that kind of moving around ;-) I replaced the wheels with the steel ones since I had such good performance from them on my planer. D4175 and D4176.
    nice, thanks. I guess the steel rolls around ok on bare concrete? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to use those on a "nicer" shop floor.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Heck View Post
    nice, thanks. I guess the steel rolls around ok on bare concrete? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to use those on a "nicer" shop floor.

They roll very well on my typical residential garage floor. If my shop floor was pretty I would not use them. I have rolled them over plywood lying over bare ground without issue as well. They obviously don't offer much give but, seem to roll right over random saw dust drifts, dirt, and curlies. I don't move the bandsaw all that often so I went for longevity. These will never grow a flat spot ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler