Thread: Questions for those that turn urns

Questions for those that turn urns

I'm confused by online urn size calculators so I need your help determining a rough estimate on size of blank for an urn. They want a wood that is not a local wood so I will need to buy and have a piece shipped. Trying to determine a ballpark size of the blank to know what total cost is with the cost of the wood and shipping weight.

Here is the info I have: Most sites say a cubic inch per pound. The person weighed closed to 140lbs which according to the urn calculators is around 140 cubic inches or 9.5 cups of volume. The family estimate only 60-70% of that is left as the family spread some ashes. So if I estimate 100lbs that's about 7 cups and 100 cu inches. If I do a volume calculate of a cylinder I would need roughly about a 3" radius and a 3.5" height of INTERNAL capacity for 100cu inches not including exterior shape or wall thickness and a lid of some sort. So I may be wrong (and those experienced in urn turning - please correct me if I am) but a piece at a minimum should be somewhere around 4.5X4.5X8 might be big enough. But something a little larger would give me more shape/design options.

Just speculating here - but a medium flat rate box is 11 1/4" x 8 3/4" x 6" so a chunk of wood 8X8X6 would fit and a large Flat rate is 12-1/4" x 12-1/4" x 6" so an even larger piece would fit. So a 6" diam log or 6X6 square spindle 11" long would fit in either box and that would give me a taller narrow form shape. Or, a square 12X12X6 in the large box would give me a wider shorter form that I could then make a lid out of blackwood or ebony or something.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc.?
    Thanks
    Ricc

The one I made for my Mom had a finished diameter of 6.5" max diameter, curving taper down to 3" diameter at the base. 10.5" tall just in the vessel and 1/4" wall thickness. Hard to know my Mom's weight, I'd guess 150 when she died. The vessel was about 3/4 full of ashes.

I make a few for my local funeral home. They gave me a plastic liner box and told me that average cremains would be 3/4 full. So I used sand to determine the volume and from the ones I've made the outside dimensions of 10" x 7" always seems to work out. I don't do anything less that that and depending on the form I have made some 10" wide and 7" tall that worked fine as well.

thanks Richard and Charles for the info.

Anyone else have input based on their experience?

Tjanks
    Ricc

Edit

I have made 2 , one turned, one a "box". I had a volume in cubic inches (can't remember the number) from the web and used that to determine the minimum inside dimensions. They were tough projects to get through because I knew the people and designed them based on who they were. Very satisfying once they were done. If they are going to a mausoleum they need to fit in the niche space. I think mine had to fit inside a 12" high space.

The turned urn was slightly larger than a typical Beads of Courage box. The box urn was the size of a thick book.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Barkelew; 09-18-2020 at 6:12 PM.

I've only made one, and it wasn't turned. It was going to be kept in the widow's house, and had two compartments, one for his ashes and one for his glasses and a few personal items. I don't recall that I even made plans, I think I just kind of worked it out as I went. I think the ash compartment was about 6 x 6 x 4.5, but that's probably not much help to you because if it was just 0.5" bigger in each dimension, the capacity goes from 162 to 211 cu in. It was made for a close friend that made one-off furniture professionally, at the request of his widow. Pat really liked Japanese architecture and the sloped sides made me think of that, even though I don't know squat about real Japanese architecture. I agree with others that making an urn for a friend can be a good experience, lots of contemplative time, and a chance to make something positive out of a situation that is otherwise negative (his death was untimely).

Best,

Dave

Picture1.jpgPicture2.jpgPicture3.jpg

I've made two, one for my wife and one for a pet. All information I read regarding capacity was one qubic inch space per pound of body weight. I believe my wife weighed about 150 lbs, but the cremation remains were about 110 cubic inches. I did not take into consideration that she was holding a lot of water and had been taking medicine to control that. Bottom line, water doesn't burn and turn into ash. Water vaporizes. If you can wait until the ashes are returned to the family, you can get a more accurate idea of the needed capacity.

Jay Mullins
    Iron Mountain Woodturner

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    thanks Richard and Charles for the info.

Anyone else have input based on their experience?

Tjanks
    Ricc
    Ricc,

I have no experience with making urns, but when I wanted to determine the volume of a Beads of Courage lidded box before turning it I sketched out my design full size on graph paper then counted the squares. I didn't count EVERY square but divided each vertical section into two or three slices then used a ruler to measure the average radius from the center line for each to calculate the volumes of a stack of short cylinders to get the total volume in cubic inches. This was quick and I'm sure the volume is close, as least as close as it could be after turning to the approximate size/shape! (Perhaps the family would give you the actual dimensions of the existing container if they want you to use that.)

boc_drawing_smaller.jpg BOC_C_Jack_00_IMG_6687.jpg

Another option for a tall piece is to glue up shorter blocks as I often do for Beads Of Courage containers. These are made for kids so I like to use strongly contrasting woods but for an urn I'd probably to with a more subdued look.

BOC_D_demo_IMG_6695.jpg
    BOC_E_IMG_7162.jpg

To save time in hollowing (hollowing dry wood can take a bit of effort compared to green!) I pre-hollow each piece before gluing then only need to cut through the supporting webs and smooth the inside. The basic idea (leaving out the process details):

BOC_drawing_C.jpg BOC_drawing_D.jpg

JKJ

Jay and JKJ, thanks for the additional information. Right now the project is on hold. I just lost BOTH of my parents in car car wreck last thursday.

Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Jay and JKJ, thanks for the additional information. Right now the project is on hold. I just lost BOTH of my parents in car car wreck last thursday.

Ricc
    Oh my, how devastatingly tragic. It breaks my heart to hear that.