Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill Press: How much run-out is too much? Diagnosis? Treatment?

Your dp actually has very good runout not worth fixing. You state it is only 1/1000 which is plenty good for wood working. Your problem is all in the easy to replace non DP parts. If you have the wedges it is a few minutes work to remove and clock the arbor around until you get the best location. No need for a full force installation just a light tap with a hammer will do until you have the final location figured out.. I do not like a deadblow hammer when striking upward. I use an automotive suspension "pickle fork" tool to remove the chuck. They do make special order check removal split wedges but a pickle works fine if you sharpen the end a little.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    D should be measured as close to C as possible, avoiding any burrs raised by the jaws. Measuring D as you are you are is also measuring any bend in the test rod which I assume is not a ground certified test rod.
    Bill D
    I use a 13/32 jobber drill blank that rolls true on my tablesaw. Is there another simple way to check it?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have a Nova Voyager DVR and replaced the chuck with a $50 keyless chuck. I measured run out at 0.002'".
    $50 ?? What brand chuck?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    I’ve restored three Albrecht’s and bought one new (unused) on practical machinist. They are ultra simple and McMaster sells replacement parts for all of the wear items.

Even new they aren’t really that terribly expensive. I have a super Jacobs also, every time I use it I wonder why I’m not using one of my albrechts.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

This is the Chuck I bought on Amazon. It works great with very low run out. With an arbor it was less than $50 in 2019.

Screenshot_2020-09-20-18-19-42_kindlephoto-1081512273.jpg
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 09-20-2020 at 7:29 PM.

I bought a keyless chuck from Grizzly. It was about $110. Fit and finish are nice. Works great. It's most likely a compromise from the upper tier chucks, but the Grizzly works great for my purposes.