Thread: Reliant shaper

Reliant shaper

I was given a Reliant heavy duty spindle shaper model DD34 and can't find any dealers or suppliers of parts. Does anyone know anything about this tool? I could use some help!

Reliant was the house brand for Woodworkers Warehouse. They went out of business over 20 years ago...

As noted, the brand and seller is long gone. Maybe comb through Grizzly's current and legacy machines to see if you can find a clone or reasonable approximation.

I bought a Reliant shaper for $300 to use to make tongue and groove 1x6 pine to replace a rotten floor in an old house, it did fine for that job and I have hung onto it figuring it might come in handy again or if not I can always sell it later. Do you need parts to get it up and running or is this just for future reference?

That sure looks a lot like one of the current Grizzly offerings.

My reliant jointer was made in Taiwan not communist China. Purchased new about 30 years ago from Post Tools in California
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Looks almost identical to the jet 1.5hp shaper. The drive system and spindle match the jet, unlike the grizzly/shopfox
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 09-17-2020 at 7:38 AM.

The bolt or stud that goes up through the quill into the spindle is missing. Also, I would like to get a hold of a front table extension.

Fortunately, and as noted, this was a pretty common machine regardless of the nameplate, so hopefully with a little research and searching you can find equivalent parts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The drawbar bolt can be made from all thread with a nut welded or soldered on the end. The only hard part will be the taper cone that bears into the spindle. Maybe take a coupling nut and file the cone shape in a drillpress. I would thin kyo uwil lend up with a cone that floats. I assume the original is all one piece forged with a big lump near each end. One for the cone one for the bolt head end.
    maybe a car lug nut could be used to make a taper cone by bushing the bore smaller
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-17-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pauley View Post
    The bolt or stud that goes up through the quill into the spindle is missing. Also, I would like to get a hold of a front table extension.
    I actually have a table extension for that machine. E-mail me using my first initial and last name at G mail to disuss.